Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Zone 7B
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, not lost, just "misplaced" for a long time......

I was blessed with a teenage sis in law when I was married the first time - she was a good kid, but her parents (my inlaws) were just rotten - She came and lived with us (XH, myself and 2 kids) with her new husband (out of defiance she married him at 17) Deal was she could live with us as long as she finished school AND GRADUATED!! She did so and I was so proud of her....... Then she had a baby at 19 and again, she was a wonderful mother and our friendship bloomed into a REAL friendship rather than just being related to each other by marriage.... She was closer to me than my own sister..... we spent every day together for 4 years!!! She loved helping me on the farm, the boys were so happy... and she shared in everything I did on the farm.... She had grown into such a beautiful woman! One I was very proud of!! It was because of her that I decided to try to have another baby... I thought 29 was too old.... she is the reason my DD10 is here!! :) We have a bond that NO ONE will ever understand because of that!!

But her family HATED me (even tho I was married to their son) hated everything I stood for.... (they had another daughter my age but she was a druggie, abusive to her kids, trouble with the law, you name it) They hated the fact that S was so close to me and distant to them because she could see all the dysfunction in their lives..... we weathered many a storm together that they caused through rumors, lies and their dysfunctions..... and we SURVIVED INTACT - friends forever!!!! :)

We were forced to move away from them when my dd was 8 months old due to my ds health issues and returned to our home state (2000) miles away..... I left her knowing I may never see her again (her DH had an X and other kids as well, all his family was there and they had said they never would leave).... I had lots going on after we moved and we lost touch for awhile......Then I divorced my X..... and to my surprise, she called me out of the blue one day... it was just like we had never been apart! We vowed to keep in touch ALWAYS!! :) And we have for the better part of the last 5 years.... I moved to TX and she stayed in touch.... twice a year, we would call each other and spend 2-3 hours catching up on stuff, sharing our joys and triumphs and sorrows and sadness.... but it was never the same as being there..... Goodness, how I missed her! I have NEVER had a friend like her since!!

We lost touch 2 years ago.... we both had some very serious stuff going on but neither of us knew it....... (I always had her parents phone number but it wouldn't have done any good to even try to find out where she was because they wouldn't have told me) Life without her is like an empty hole in my heart... I think of her everyday.... I see her in the crowds when I am out.... I miss her horribly.... and pray that she is healthy and happy where ever she is....

And then I got word that HER cousin (SPC. Michelle Ring) was killed in Iraq.... I hurt so badly for her as I knew how close they had been growing up and especially after I left and moved away.... I couldn't think of any way to get in touch with her - I actually considered calling her mother in the wake of this tragedy to see if I could find her..... My heart ached, I prayed about it... what I should do, where I should start..... DH encouraged me to find her, to look for her (my x couldn't stand the fact I was so close to her (thats why reason he's my X) DH has always encouraged me to stay close to friends that were important to me.... quite a contrast from my X....

I remembered (in a dream on Tuesday nite) that she had an uncle who lived only about 30 miles from me (not the grieving family of Michelle's) but another who I had met years ago... He was nice to me and actually liked me despite all the lies his sis (my MIL) had told him! :) So I called on Wednesday and left a message on his machine..... when I hadn't heard anything all day, I called back and finally spoke to his son (her cousin)

He told me things that blew my mind!!! She is living here!!! ABOUT 30 MILES FROM ME!! her, DH, three kids (1 whom I have never met) had moved out here in October... SAME TIME AS I DID TOO!!! We visited for about 1/2 hour and I got a cell number for her... (she was on the road coming back from KY - went to pick up their belongings with her uncle....)

I was so scared, excited and nervous all at the same time!! I hadn't spoken to her in 2 years .... would she want to talk to me????? Was there a reason for the silence? OY!! I was shaking so bad - i had a brief cry of relief that I had found her.... but I tell you what, the fear of the unknown was very scary!

I finally worked up the nerve to text her a simple "CALL ME, I'm so sorry to hear about michelle" message..... She immediately called me and demanded to know who I was and how I knew about michelle...... I had disguised my voice for the initial "Hello" but as soon as I said her name, she screamed.... And then we both started crying.... and we cried and laughed and screamed and giggled and cried some more for almost 2 hours (her uncle was driving)

We have been in constant contact since that moment.... We text each other goodnites and good mornings while she has been on the road.... and she got home this morning...... so she was headed to bed and will call me when she gets up..... land line so we can visit and not get cut off!! I CANT WAIT TO SEE HER IN PERSON!!!

She has Michelle's funeral on Saturday (which sadly, I can't attend) but we plan to meet up as soon as our schedules allow (probably sunday or monday)

ITS BEEN 10 YEARS since I have seen her... and I am so looking forward to meeting her beautiful smiling face, her beautiful 9 year daughter, seeing her 12 and 17 yo sons... and having her meet both of my beautiful daughters!!!

This whole thing seems like a dream.... I can't believe that I found her... found my best friend that I had thought I would never see again!!

My heart is so full of happiness, I am walking on clouds, singing heavenly praises, dancing on the stars!! I have been thanking the Lord for the last three days for giving me the direction, the courage and the strength to find her!! It is truly HIS doing..... what a glorious sound to hear her voice again!

My kids are so excited to see her... (The boys remember her, but DD's haven't ever met her...) and I can't wait for her to meet my DH and to see her DH again!!!

Its like time has stood still for us.... we picked up right where we left off.... she is indeed my sister...... my soul mate for life!!!

God is SO GOOD!!

Anybody else have a lost friend that has been found again???? Please share!

·
newfieannie
9,171 Posts
Isn't it wonderful to find old friends.i found mine just last summer after 49 years. i met her when i attended school in her home town.she became the best friend i ever had. when the year ended ,I went back home and we corresponded for a while. I married and left Newfoundland and we lost touch. after my husband died I tried to find her. it took me a year. I didn't know her married name and those i wrote to i found out later had died.
one day i decided to write her brother. just took a chance and addressed it to the the place he was living at the time i was there. he had died but it went to a cousin of the same name. she passed it on to my friend and one day i got a letter. I was so happy! she has had a very busy life with 9 children! we have exchanged phone calls and gifts since then and we do plan to see each other in person soon. ...Georgia.

·
bunny slave
4,389 Posts
Nope, never happened to me, but I sure did enjoy reading about this. Yours too, Annie. It's so nice (sniff)!

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
I'm so happy for you!

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Tami- I know just how you feel...my best friend was actually at one time married to my uncle. It never matters how long it might be since we have seen each other or talked to each other...we always just pick up where we left off.

She is the one person who has been there for me since I was 14 yo. Friends like this are so priceless!! I would give anything to have her here with me but right now we are about 6/7 hours away. But there's always the phone and email to keep up close.

Enjoy your special friendship!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts