financial assistance

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by ozarkin'it, Jul 28, 2004.

  1. ozarkin'it

    ozarkin'it Well-Known Member

    Jul 28, 2004
    Ozark Mountains
    I was wondering if anyone knew how or where to obtain some financial assistance. I need about 1500$ to purchase a living structure and some basic supplies. Can someone help?
  2. BCR

    BCR Well-Known Member

    Jun 24, 2002
    Apply for a line of personal credit at a bank or get a loan using your car for collateral, if its worth that much. Pawn/sell any possessions you no longer need.

    $1500 is small enough to save for over a short period. Get a job or second job and do just that. Adding a small job to your current work which earns $75 a week-you'd have enough in 20 weeks (5 months).

    Borrow from family or people who know you well. Sign a contract for re-payment within a short time.

    I won't speak for everyone here, but, read around, most of us have been pretty creative earning money in our lives and prefer self-sufficiency, not hand-outs.

  3. Terri

    Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

    May 10, 2002
    I have a better idea. Why don't you be more specific about what you need to get, so that those who have been there, done that can tell you haw to get it by your own efforts? That way, you won't have to owe anybody $1500.

    I don't know about you, but I would rather not be $1500 in the hole. ;)

    But, several people here have built their own homes with very little money to start with, and they are generally good at telling people how they did it.
  4. countrygrrrl

    countrygrrrl PITA

    Aug 4, 2003
    Zone Unknown
    If you're thinking there are grants for this kind of thing, they don't really exist, although lots of people will tell you they do.


    Once you own a property, however, there are certain kinds of grants you might qualify for, but most come with some fairly heavy restrictions and/or requirements. For example, there are grants for using arts or all of your property for wildlife conservation, or special energy grants for solar or experimental or more efficient types of energy. But you need a property first and, in some cases, a really excellent credit record (on-time bill payment, that kind of thing), as well as fulfilling other requiements to obtain these grants.

    For the amt of money you're wanting, you should be able to save that fairly quickly with a second job --