Finaly .... Maybe

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by roneil76, Dec 19, 2006.

1. roneil76

roneil76 Banjo Makin' Farmer Dad

I called the local dairy farmer across the street from me. I'm hoping to hear back from him w/ a position available. Who knows but I hope so.

From what I hear he has a big operation that extends to several locations. Supposidly there is only 2 hrs a day when hes not milkin' cows, its what I "heard" so, who knows.

I'm hoping he has something available for evenings or overnights. I realy want to get in there and see how things work and are set up and things. Ultimately I see myself w/ longhorn cattle for meat production but to be around the animals and work w/ them at all - I figure allot will transfer over. You know as far as handeling the animals and such. Anyway, I'm hopefull

2. LMonty

LMonty Well-Known Member

Good luck, Ryan! I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for ya!

3. roneil76

Got a return call. man sd he has a position avail for his dirt business and he needs a superviser or some one to run it anyway. But thats not what I'm Looking for. I make a livin already. Kinda hopin to get in w/ the animals. well he said he would call me early next week and set up a time to meat. I can probably take the Interview to let him know my interest and where they are. but i'm not real interested in the dirt bussiness at this point. so I'm not sure if he will have something available in the dairy side of things.

4. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

How big of a dairy is it? Depending on the size of the dairy, perhaps you could try to sit in on cows calving. Some big farms, those over 500head have a cow calving just about every single day.

Jeff

5. roneil76

The dairy is huge. The heard across the street is easily 200 head. No milking gose on their. Not sure of the operations but I know they are not milking. I was told what gose on over thier when I was buying the house but my focus was elsewhere and I only heard that they dont milk those ones. He has another set up up the road where he dose the milking. He transfers some up here for what ever gose on up here.

6. Valmai

Valmai Well-Known Member

Im a bit confussed! :shrug: Are you saying it takes 22 hours to milk 200 cows??? Thats crazy.

7. Terry W

Terry W Duchess of Cynicism

I is saying that there are actually so many copws, that milking does occur all day. Depending on the size of the parlor-- A neighbor here milks 400 cows in two hours