Finally!!!

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by animal_kingdom, Jul 25, 2005.

1. animal_kingdom

animal_kingdom Well-Known Member

:sing: Finally we have babies!!! It's been an irritating 3 months...losing babies, babies born dead, not pregnant to start...

My daughter's mini rex, Sybil, had her kits late last night or early this morning. I went out this morning to see if any nest making progress was accomplished and breathed a sigh of relief because there was fur and I knew it wouldn't be long.

Then I saw the fur giving gentle waves for me to come and look underneath. There were 6 wiggly kits in there. Nice size on 5 of them and a bit smaller on number six. Checked them this evening and they were still wiggly and had full bellies.

Hopefully in the next 24 to 48 hours my rabbit, Holly, will have hers. She's made a nest, hollowed out a hole in it and is just hanging around to beat the heat. My daughter being at camp this week got an email from me this afternoon advising her of a death possiblity. I'm concerned with the heat and massive humidity that we could have some dying babies here and there. I did warn her of it. She's so sensitive I don't think she even can prepare herself for that but I wanted her to beware when she gets home.

Thanks for all the information you all post on here in the form of questions and comments. It was extremely helpful to me just to know what I'm looking for in nest making, birthing and about cleaning the box out. Also with frozen water bottles and all that kind of stuff. I totally appreciate it all!

Thanks again!
    :bow:

2. patarini

patarini Well-Known Member

COOL@ I am hoping our second litter will be there when I get home next week!

3. nehimama

nehimama An Ozark Engineer Supporter

Congratulations on the new bunnies! It's always a thrill, no matter if it's your first litter or the 100th litter.

Here in Missouri, the temps have been 100+ for days on end, with high humidity also. I have a 2-week-old litter, and this is what I've been doing. Every morning I watch to see mama feed the kits then she hops out of the nest box. Then the nest box goes into the house with me. I put it in an area that has no direct drafts from the AC or fans. The box o' buns goes back out to mama in the early evening when the temps have come down. She doesn't seem to mind in the least, and none of the kits have died due to heat & humidity.

I've been keeping a barn fan on from 8 AM - 8 PM for the adults.

I hope this helps, and I hope you won't lose any of your new babies.

NeHi Mama

4. smokie

smokie Well-Known Member

congradulations, i am also waiting on a litter of mini rex, and mini lop. i just love the mini rex they are so cool.

5. animal_kingdom

[Thanks for the advice. The pens they are in are cooler than in my house right now. We have no air conditioning.

The mama rabbit piled on more fur on the kits yesterday. I was concerned thinking it was because I touched them while she watched me. I thought maybe she was trying to conceal them better.

I checked the kits for over warmth and they seem fine. It was such a nice temperature in the pen that I was tempted to crawl in and enjoy it!

Today should be a better day as far as heat and humidity goes.

I'm just looking forward now to some furry bunnies that are too cute NOT to hold!!!

6. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

Hi ,,, If you are concered that its too much fur ,, get a plastic bag and take some off and save it ,,, I have a plastic mesh 25 pd old feed sack ,, got it hanging in the shed half full of loose fluffy fur ,,

do this with 'all' of your does when they have litters ,, when its warm / hot take away 'extra fur to save ,, ;) and when a good doe pulls more fur day after day ,, take that too ,,

you will sometimes need 'extra fur when you have to clean a nest thats gotten soiled badly for some reason ,,

and for this winter when its bitterly cold and a doe hasn't pulled much fur you have a stash handy ,, they will pull loads in the summer and nothing in the winter :p

with the heat wave we've been having ,, if you take some of the fur they won't get chilled ,, IMO lol I know yall are hot up there too ,,,

it was 101 here yesterday in NC WE JUST DON'T GET THIS DANG HOT!!

7. animal_kingdom

lol Tammy!
    I thought about taking the fur. Question is, will the doe continue to pull fur thinking she has to keep them warm if I take the fur away?

I pushed some to the side this morning in the nest box but didn't take it out. The kits were warm but didn't seem overly warm.

Funny thing is..I never thought I would think a hairless mammal would be so adorable. They are so wiggly they seem to grow on me each day!

Here's another question: with all that fur on them, how does the mama rabbit possibly nurse them? Does she push some aside before hunkering on down in there, or do they just poke up through when they feel her?

I just find these closed eye hairless mini hotdogs very interesting! :D

8. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member