Finally~

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Ark, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

We are so excited to finally have our very first website!!

Anyone wanna check it out?

It's at: http://www.fourmilefarm.com/

Web Design was by "Images with Flair" and I must say she did a wonderful job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :baby04:

Our first doe is due on the 14th. Cant wait!!!

2. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

that is a very nice website . very clean and easy to go around :)

3. nduetime

nduetime I am a Christian American Supporter

loved your site, very nice.
    note: I want all your does!!!

4. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

Very nice! Two suggestions: Your Home Page should state what it is you raise at your farm. Except for the ADGA logo, visitors have no idea specifically what Four Mile is all about. A good idea to mention your breeds.
    Also you should have a link on your other pages to your Home Page.

5. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone!
    Moonspinner, thanks for the suggestions. :) There actually is a link to the homepage on every other page. And you're right, the home page doesnt specifically state what we raise, but you find out if you follow the links. ;)

6. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

Nice site. I have a Valentine also. I think everyone names a doe born on 2-14 Valentine.

7. lgslgs

lgslgs Well-Known Member

Very pretty, but slow to load - even with broad band.

The problem is the size of your photos.

As an example - the photo on the first page is 665 x 800 pixels. Computer screens display 72 pixels per inch. That means you have a 9.2 x 11.1 inch photo scrunched onto the first page. It would actually take about a full minute to load just that one photo over a really rural dial up connection. (Like we were stuck with for 5 years before they finally completed the cable here!) Lots of folks will miss all the good photos and information because of that - especially on your does page and the like.

See if you photo program has a "save for web" feature. You want to adjust both the JPEG quality setting (for web display, low won't really look any different than high) and the size of the photo. You should be able to shrink the photo file size down so that the photo will load in 2 - 4 seconds on dial up and your website will still look every bit as good. The actual photo on the screen size and all of the detail will still look the same.

If you don't know how to do this it's worth going over to the computer section of the forum and getting help. Your website is really nice, and it would be a shame if folks miss out on seeing all of the lovely goats just because the photo files haven't been resized to run properly on the web.

Hope this helps!

Lynda

P.S. I know all of this because I did the same thing the first time I put a bunch of photos in a website. It is very common. :)