Finally..

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by southerngurl, Jul 28, 2006.

1. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

I've waited two years to taste an orangeglo. This morning I woke up and really wanted a watermelon. So I went out in the rain and looked around. I have the worst time telling when a watermelon is ripe, but one of the orangeglo was bitten by a horse :flame: , kinda split so I figured if it wasn't ripe it would go bad if left much longer so I picked it. Carried it in and started to cut it and it was just splitting ahead of the knife as I cut it :baby04: .Had to take a picture. The other melons are banana melons. One of the plants made melons that were smaller and squattier. They also have incredible flavor. Oh, and the watermelon tastes good too. :cool:
    I just finished off the bowl of watermelon in the picture.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I have a couple big desert kings out there I think are ripe too. I'm just afraid to pick anything because the "tendril" thing doesn't work for my watermelons. :shrug: My uncle who has now past on told me to look on down the vine and wait for the next two tendrils to shrivel up as well. They were on this one, so that helped. He used to grow watermelons commercially.

2. rocket

rocket Well-Known Member

Congratulations! I'm still trying to figure out how to get watermelons to grow well. But the Honeydew, Chanterais, and Galia melons are doing so well that I'm sharing them with the whole neighborhood. :)

3. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

Beautiful! What a vibrant color.

I didn't try any melons this year, too scared in a new zone, shorter growing season, and all that. Next year for sure!