Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
9,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Thurs DH dropped an 8 quart kettle full of hot broth on his bare legs and feet.
Refused to go to Doc!

http://homesteadingtoday.com/showthread.php?t=280755

This evening at 10 p.m. he had me look at his swollen ankle and weeping wounds..........the biggest of the HUGE blisters had drained and the dead tissue was sloughing off.

He wanted to "wait until morning" but, he didn't argue with me tonight when I told him to put on his coat and get into the car.

ER Doc could not believe that he had waited this long to go into ER.

They debrided it, slathered it with Silver Sulfadiazine, dressed it and started him on Cephalexin----and gave him a 'script for Vicodin.

His Temp and WBC were fairly normal so he avoided IV antibiotics.

Will need to do dressing changes for 2-3 weeks and check in with regular doc in one week.

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
I don't know why men can be so stubborn about going to the doctor. Thank goodness he finally did and things aren't any worse than they are.

·
wife,mom,taxi driver,cook
6,674 Posts
that silver stuff is awesome on burns. I have a very small amount left in a jar that a nurse friend gave me and I hate that its almost gone. Hope he feels better soon!

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Thank goodness that you finally got him to the doctor!

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Last Thurs DH dropped an 8 quart kettle full of hot broth on his bare legs and feet.
Refused to go to Doc!

http://homesteadingtoday.com/showthread.php?t=280755

This evening at 10 p.m. he had me look at his swollen ankle and weeping wounds..........the biggest of the HUGE blisters had drained and the dead tissue was sloughing off.

He wanted to "wait until morning" but, he didn't argue with me tonight when I told him to put on his coat and get into the car.

ER Doc could not believe that he had waited this long to go into ER.

They debrided it, slathered it with Silver Sulfadiazine, dressed it and started him on Cephalexin----and gave him a 'script for Vicodin.

His Temp and WBC were fairly normal so he avoided IV antibiotics.

Will need to do dressing changes for 2-3 weeks and check in with regular doc in one week.
Hey there tallpines;
I'm glad your dh FINALLY agreed to go to the ER. Men can be sooo stubborn about going to the doc (like i should talk as i have been coughing since September). Anyway, I'm glad he's doing so well, sounds like he's a tough one. Take care and let us know how it's going.
tamilee

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Let me just point out that, since he waited a week anyway, had he gotten to your doc on Friday (but waiting until today would not have been so wise) he'd save somebody (if not you your insurance company) the difference in cost between office visit and ER visit- a lot of money most places. Of course if your doc can't give you an appointment for two weeks that's no use...

·
Happy Scrounger
13,634 Posts
Good thing he has you around to push when things go downhill, eh? hmm...maybe "push" isn't the right word in that sentence.

anyway. Good for YOU! Artificer is the same way: "yah, it's just a cold, i'm fine"...then a week later he's nearly hospitalized for pneumonia. Still wouldn't let me drive him there and they ended up sending him off for a psych evaluation when he told the emergency room doc he was "feeling down". well for christ'ssake! He had a temp of 101, sinus infection, coughing up a lung, hadn't slept in 3 days and it was the middle of February....who WOULDN'T be down? :frypan:

Glad your husband if finally feeling some relief. Must have been torturous for him. Try not to remind him of how he made it worse by waiting every time you change the bandages ;)

·
Banned
9,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Let me just point out that, since he waited a week anyway, had he gotten to your doc on Friday (but waiting until today would not have been so wise) he'd save somebody (if not you your insurance company) the difference in cost between office visit and ER visit- a lot of money most places. Of course if your doc can't give you an appointment for two weeks that's no use...
Yes, I know!
One other time he was VERY STUBBORN about an infection in his hand.

If it had been treated in a timely manner, it would have been a short Doctor's visit and a round of antibiotics.

Instead, it advanced to the point of needing to be tranferred to another hospital and having emergency surgery, at MIDNIGHT on CHRISTMAS EVE!

(I try to make sure his Life Insurance premiums are all paid up!)

·
Waste of bandwidth
10,618 Posts
At the risk of pointing out the obvious: First long pants, then shoes before picking up a giant boiling pot of gizzards.

I'm a real wimp about shoes. I've broken too many toes running into stuff and dropped too many things, either hot of heavy, on my feet. It seems that, any more, about the only times I'm barefoot is in bed or in the shower.

I'm glad he sought some help. The days following a burn are much worse than the burn itself. (I wish I'd never learned that.)

·
Uber Tuber
6,287 Posts
What a relief! I have been worried about him!

Sometimes I think life would be a little easier if men were smaller than women That way, when they hurt themselves we could sling them over our shoulders and heft them out to the car and to the doctor!

Do you remember me telling you about the time DH broke his back and fought with me about whether he was willing to let me take him to the hospital?

In the ER the Dr. saw him, and ordered X-Rays. The nurse came in and started an IV. She asked him if he was in pain, and he said "no", and he said it through clenched teeth with sweat running down his face. He was in terrible pain. and was going to try to get through it without medication.

I said "Oh, he is in pain alright, but he is too macho to admit it." She said, "I know how to take care of macho men". She put pain medication in his IV, and within about a minute, he was out like a light.

His doctor explained that when you are in pain, you strain, and that could cause additional harm when a bone is broken. I am sure his back healed better and faster because he finally quit fighting and accepted the pain meds.

·
Banned
9,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
At the risk of pointing out the obvious: First long pants, then shoes before picking up a giant boiling pot of gizzards.

I'm a real wimp about shoes. I've broken too many toes running into stuff and dropped too many things, either hot of heavy, on my feet. It seems that, any more, about the only times I'm barefoot is in bed or in the shower.

I'm glad he sought some help. The days following a burn are much worse than the burn itself. (I wish I'd never learned that.)
Yeah~~~~~~~you see~~~~he's a real fanatic about long pants and shoes, too.
~~~He had just gotten out of the shower, and was headed to bed when I ask him to "Please, move that heavy kettle".

He's glad he took the time to pull on his skivvies!:cowboy:

·
In Memorium
15,516 Posts
Yeah~~~~~~~you see~~~~he's a real fanatic about long pants and shoes, too.
~~~He had just gotten out of the shower, and was headed to bed when I ask him to "Please, move that heavy kettle".

He's glad he took the time to pull on his skivvies!:cowboy:
I bet you were too!:eek:

·
Premium Member
2,164 Posts
OH, I am so glad that you got him to go finally. I hope he will remember this next time something happens and you want to go right then instead of waiting....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts