Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally starting to get the building going! It's been a while since I posted, but we finally get to get going. I am starting out with what is going to be an 18' x 34' shell. Only one story. We are both older, and tired of climbing steps to our bedroom lol. Besides, it's only the two of us and the dogs. This will be dried in in 10 months working weekends and just us. Also, we will be able to buy materials each payday, and store them in the barn until we get to work if the weather is against us. Hope you enjoy, and please, please make suggestions, and tell me if you think I am doing something wrong lol

http://youtu.be/ETJLa9yfp0k

·
Registered
78 Posts
Congratulations! let the fun begin. I'm laying the foundation blocks for an elevated storage shed this weekend. It will be a post and beam frame with sheathing siding and insulated metal shed roof with water collection going to a 275 gal tote. It's awesome that you have a barn to store materials in while you do the build.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Congratulations! let the fun begin. I'm laying the foundation blocks for an elevated storage shed this weekend. It will be a post and beam frame with sheathing siding and insulated metal shed roof with water collection going to a 275 gal tote. It's awesome that you have a barn to store materials in while you do the build.
Sounds great. We got really lucky with having the barn on the property.

Reactions: farmgal

·
Premium Member
1,686 Posts
Congratulations!! What a beautiful spot!! Sorry you have thieves. Hope they don't come back. Maybe you can have the police swing by now n then on their rounds.

Can't wait to see your progress.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you need some guidance, on any parts of the construction, I'm here, just let me know and I will do all I can.
Thanks much for that very kind offer. I'm sure I will be taking advantage of that offer lol

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Congratulations!! What a beautiful spot!! Sorry you have thieves. Hope they don't come back. Maybe you can have the police swing by now n then on their rounds.

Can't wait to see your progress.
the theft occurred at my house in Wheeling lol. Out there, we're lucky to be pretty much on our own. I did another video on my channel about the police here. They don't know what rounds are lol. They are too busy writing tickets to generate revenue for the city.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I enjoyed the video. But there was something I was a little concerned about.

I built a 12 X 24 shed with a similar foundation a few years back and it ended up settling in ways that didn't leave the shed nearly as level as I had started out with. It ended up settling over time.

It also appeared that the posts going into the ground were wooden. I don't know what kind of wood those would be but I'd be worried about them rotting out over time.

Honest, I'm not trying to rain on a parade. I love a good project. It's just things that came to my mind that I'd be worried about. Maybe they're a non-issue where you are.

Best of luck! And I hope your project goes smoothly.

·
Premium Member
1,895 Posts
My suggestion for anybody building a home they plan to live in until advanced old age: get yourself a wheelchair from good will or something and wheel it around in every spot as you're planning to build. Make sure every space is big enough to turn it around in and that there's room to transfer to and from the toilet, and don't leave any space on either side of the toilet that a size you can fall into and get stuck in. Build your countertops low enough to use from a seated position and put hand rails EVERYWHERE. Don't have any steps and make sure there's good traction on ramps that aren't too steep.

If you make your home 100% wheelchair accessible and safe, you're much more likely to live your entire life at home and never find yourself in a nursing home.

Just 2 cents from a home health nurse :)

·
Registered
519 Posts
To start with I'll second what Bryant said. I have been in construction over a half century and I can come up with some good ideas to avoid problems later on.

I'd never looked at it like farmergirl has, but she has had a lot more time working in a position such as she has, but what she said really sounded like good thinking also.

Now I have no idea what Bellyman was speaking about, when he said something about your foundation, but it seems his went south on home, and I'll tell you straight up, you never start building anything that doesn't have a perfect foundation.
The foundation and the roof, it's framing and sheathing is the most important parts of a building. Anything else can be replaced fairly easy compared to those.

Need any ideas give me a PM also.

Godspeed

Ranger

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Not meaning to dis the foundation. I may not have seen some of the details so maybe my concerns weren't a problem in this situation.

My concerns were whether those 6X6 (?) posts would sink deeper into the ground over time and perhaps become uneven / unlevel. I don't know how far into the ground they went or what could be expected of them over time through rains, freezes and thaws.

My other concern was that those 6X6 (?) posts would rot off in time. I have seen some pole barn posts that were put directly into the ground rotting to near nothing in less than 25 years.

Again, hoping neither is an issue for you in these circumstances. Only wishing you the very best.

·
Premium Member
1,686 Posts
Here we need to go 42 inches deep with concrete filled sonatubes (sp) For no frost heaving. Then place posts on the concrete.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I enjoyed the video. But there was something I was a little concerned about.

I built a 12 X 24 shed with a similar foundation a few years back and it ended up settling in ways that didn't leave the shed nearly as level as I had started out with. It ended up settling over time.

It also appeared that the posts going into the ground were wooden. I don't know what kind of wood those would be but I'd be worried about them rotting out over time.

Honest, I'm not trying to rain on a parade. I love a good project. It's just things that came to my mind that I'd be worried about. Maybe they're a non-issue where you are.

Best of luck! And I hope your project goes smoothly.
Those are treated 6 X 6 posts. They are wolmanized pressure treated against rot or insects. I dug down in very heavy clay soil about 36", put in a few inches of concrete, then set the posts. With 15 posts, and a small cabin, I don't fear much settling. If I start worrying about it, I can add blocks in strategic places. thanks!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not meaning to dis the foundation. I may not have seen some of the details so maybe my concerns weren't a problem in this situation.

My concerns were whether those 6X6 (?) posts would sink deeper into the ground over time and perhaps become uneven / unlevel. I don't know how far into the ground they went or what could be expected of them over time through rains, freezes and thaws.

My other concern was that those 6X6 (?) posts would rot off in time. I have seen some pole barn posts that were put directly into the ground rotting to near nothing in less than 25 years.

Again, hoping neither is an issue for you in these circumstances. Only wishing you the very best.
No comment is considered a dis lol. I need all the advice and comments I can get. These posts are wolmanized and treated for in ground use.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here we need to go 42 inches deep with concrete filled sonatubes (sp) For no frost heaving. Then place posts on the concrete.
Our frost line is 22"-28" in the area. I went down about 36 inches....shouldn't have an issue, we hope lol

·
Premium Member
1,686 Posts
Our frost line is 22"-28" in the area. I went down about 36 inches....shouldn't have an issue, we hope lol

I think you will be fine. My first house was from 1872. Half the house sat directly on the ground. Except for some moisture, it was fine. Barely any rot. They must have used some hard wood back in those days. Floor jacks are available if need be.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts