Finally something good happened for a change

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by DrippingSprings, Apr 17, 2006.

1. DrippingSprings

DrippingSprings In Remembrance

A few weeks ago we had a house fire that ruined our home and most of our stuff. So we drop back a few hundred yards to the cabin and rush like mad to finish the roof etc so we can stay in it.

I really wasnt looking forward to running a water line some 700 plus feet to the cabin. I really didnt want to sink another well and have to buy a pump etc.

So we have been toting water from the burned house to the cabin etc.

Well bright and early this morning the electric co op shows up to start running electric to the cabin from our original homesite. They wanted to know where water lines etc may be and I told them I had none etc and left for work.

I get a call four hours later from the engineer of the electric co op he is pretty agitated and proceeds to ask me "why did you tell me there were no water lines running towards the cabin" to which I reply "there isnt any" he then explains that they were planting power poles and when they got about 80 yards from the cabin they hit water that was coming out of the ground at a pretty decent rate. They called the water board to get someone out to locate the mystery pipe and by then I have arrived to find I am now the proud owner of a artesian well.

Ive got a man out there right now capping it and putting a valve on it. The water was really coming out of this hole big around as a power pole. I collected some of the cold water after it seemed to be reasonable clear and let it sit for an hour to settle and it is some mighty fine water without a filter.

Has anyone had any experience with an artesian well? There are a few within ten or so miles of me and most have been used since before my dads time that I know of. This water is as cold as any well water Ive had. Seems to have no sulphur or iron to it that is noticeable. Im thinking I could add a pressure tank etc and Im set for water.

I commended the electric fellers for doing a fine job. I paid them for electric and the gave me water as well lol.

Odd that out of the many places I would have chosen to sink a well Im not sure that ridgetop would have even been noticed by me.

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Calculate the gallons per minute and you may have a power source to run a generator!

3. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Well-Known Member

That's really cool DS, congratulations! :clap:

4. free-2-b-me

free-2-b-me Well-Known Member

That is a blessing after all that you have been through !!!! May be the first of many to come your way !

5. jassytoo

jassytoo Well-Known Member Supporter

Thats so cool. I'd love to find an artesian well on our property, there are some around. I'm glad for you. At least it makes up in some small way for all the bad luck you've had.

6. gypsymama

gypsymama Well-Known Member

:banana02: :banana02: :banana02: :banana02:

Great News!!!

We have an artesian well but it doesn't have enough umph for a generator, maybe yours does.

Our pump in the house is tapped into it.

7. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Sure hate to hear about your fire. Glad y'all got out okay. And congrats on the artesian well! There's a lot of them up in that area and the ones I've been to are always crystal clear and cold as can be.

8. wvpeach1963

wvpeach1963 WVPEACH (Paula)

God sends the rain , sun, and the electric co sometimes just when you need them.

Congradulations

9. logbuilder

logbuilder Well-Known Member

Great news but please get a water test before drinking it.

10. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

WOW! congratulations that is wonderful. I would love to have an arteisan welll on our place.

11. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    BoyI wish I had luck like that on my place in Missouri. Im going down there next week. Maybe I will dig a few holes..... :) We had an artesian well when I was a boy. As you say, the water came out really fast and was cold and free of iron etc. Really wonderful water and we never went dry.

12. barnyardfun

barnyardfun Happy Homemaker Supporter

My parents have an artesian well and it has ran 3 houses off it before. Right now they run off it and so do we. I think the last it was checked it ran 26 gallons per minute! :dance: We ran 1200ft of water line just so we could hook our house up to it to! And the best part is our line runs downhill so we don't even need the pump! I love it. :) And it is the best tasting water around. We had a water guy come out and try to show us how BAD our well water was and when he tested it he went ahead and left and told us to have a good day, there wasn't anything really BAD about it! Congrats on the great find!