Finally, Rut in full swing

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by 6e, Nov 23, 2006.

1. 6e

6e Farm lovin wife Supporter

After not seeing a deer one for months, they are finally coming out of the wood work. We've seen no less than 15 deer a day and a lot of bucks, but all of them have been fairly small. Usually 6 to 8 pointers and for the first time the other day, I got to see two bucks fighting. I almost didn't have to go hunt one the other night when I about hit a young buck with the van on the way to our house.

Glad to see it's picking up in our area! :dance:

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

In the last 10 days I have only seen 4 deer while hunting. Hope the rut kicks in here in NC soon

3. rwinsouthla

rwinsouthla Well-Known Member Supporter

I've been hunting alot the past week, both morning and night. Not seeing a THING!!! Then, yesterday about 10:00 am, while sitting in our living room (I hunt 270 acres behind our house) I see 3 coyotes. No wonder we aren't seeing any deer! I was able to give one of 30-06 lead poisoning (a female) but the other two got off. Hopefully it scared them enough to help improve our hunting. Still another 3 weeks to go!!!

Good luck 6e. BTW, my DD got your DD's letter last week and won't put it down!!!

4. 6e

6e Farm lovin wife Supporter

Glad to hear she's enjoying R. letters. I'm afraid my daughter came by her lack of being able to put thoughts into words from me! LOL

I have been up in the deer stand 3 times in the past few days and I have one buck that I keep seeing. He doesn't have huge antlers, but one is twisted in front of his head, so he should be interesting. He comes right by the deer stand every day just before dark. Rifle season starts this weekend I believe and he's who I'm after. I've seen a lot of does come by the stand.

I don't know if coyotes should bother the deer population too much. I've seen deer and coyotes running throught the woods one after the other. We have a lot of coyotes too.

Good luck! :)