Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our new California doe Arnie is having her kits as we speak.
Dh went to the rabbitry to get his sale rabbit and noticed she was pulling hair and came running to get me. :dance: :dance:
When she hopped out of the box .i only saw 4,,, so far, I am sure she is not done though, cause I had been out there just about 1 hour earlier. There was no evidence of babys then.
Now since this is her first litter, I hope she keeps them. :) :) :)
This is petty cool!!!
Now if our black rex kindles, I'll be amazed. She just doesn't look heavy enough to have any kits in there. It's back to the buck on tuesday for her. Have to give her a chance or 2 more then she'll be an expensive stew. :grump:

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
It's great that Arnie kindled! :bouncy: I've often noticed that there seem to be just four at the beginning and more like eight later in the day. Never could figure if it was because she wasn't finished or because some were way down under in the bunny fur blanket. :cute:

As far as the black rex doe goes, I would not be planning that expensive stew :eek: until she has had a couple of chances in cool weather.

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am sure if she does only have 4 it's cause it was so hot when she was bred. We're happy to get the 4 and then we'll breed her back in 5 or 6 weeks. My dh has an order for one buckling from ths litter.
The rex doe has been sitting in her nest box all morning, so there is still a chance for her.
Weghed my replacement doe this morning she is still only 6 1/2 pounds. I was hoping to breed her in 6 weeks with these two for the next litters. I don't know her real age so I keep weighing her. I think she thinks I am a pest.

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
pulled back the fur and found 7 kits. In my opinion the purfect number for a first time doe. I was suprised to see they are not much bigger than my mini lops kits. But we don't know what the mini lop was bred to. They sure grew fast for mini lop crosses.

Still waiting on the rex doe. She is still lounging in her nest box.
The californian momma looks kinda tired this morning. Gave here a strawberry fo being such a good girl.

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
Seven or eight is the perfect litter! Congrats! they should do well on mama bun's milk since there are enough places at the table to go around.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts