Finally! I bought LAND!!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by NikiandAlex, Feb 26, 2005.

1. NikiandAlex

NikiandAlex Member

Well, it's finally here! Yesterday, I bought the perfect land. I've been waiting for YEARS and this 7 acres in western VA is worth it! I can't stop smiling! :haha:
    I've been looking at online nurserys for setting up my yard with trees and such. (BTW, I found on the National Arbor Day Foundation site, that if you become a member for $10 they'll send you 10 free trees, flowering or oak, if any of you are interested.) So, that's where you all come in! I need to know your expirences and advice with online nursery's and your advice on how to put the trees in when they get delivered. :confused:
    Thanks! Niki =)

2. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

Congrats on the land. We've recently purchased and are hoping to be all moved in by next weekend.

As for the trees, join the Arbor Day if you want to do it, but not for the trees. The ones we got were tiny little sprouts. If you want real trees, in my opinion, go to Lowes or Home Depot and get some real trees that are already many feet tall.

3. Dawndra

Dawndra I'm back

I agree... We joined, too... we got blue spruce. They all died. they were about 6 inches tall. I vote for a local nursery, myself.. but whatever you choose.

CONGRATS on the land!!! :dance: :dance:

4. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

your state forestry dept and the agriculture extension dept should be able to get you some good deals on trees suited for your area.

5. fellini123

fellini123 Well-Known Member

Don't know where you are in Western VA, but if you are close to Blacksburg you might want to check in with the college. They often have plants in their Ag program. I bet you an get at a good price and they will help with the type you need in your area.
    Alice in Virginia

6. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    Congrats on the land. Dont know if you have a Big Lots near you, but each spring
    our local store gets a big shipment of trees of all sorts, shade trees, flowering ornamentals and fruit trees. They are all at least 5-6 feet tall and in good shape and sell for about 10-12 dollars a piece. I got some very nice pears and peach trees that grew like mad and have done very well. The peaches bore fruit the third year and the 4th year we had peaches coming out of our ears off each tree. The pears have born a bit but not as well but they did make fine big trees.

7. PonderosaQ

PonderosaQ Well-Known Member Supporter

Not meaning to to be rude Fellini 123 but to save these folks some time...don't bother to check with VT their prices are ludicrous. Of course if you want some wonderful rare hard to find specimen there is no better place to go when they have their plant sale. I was more than disappointed when I went over there.

PQ

8. coalroadcabin

coalroadcabin Well-Known Member

Don't know if you're looking to purchase seedlings or if you want a tree that's a bit bigger but here is a link to the VA Dept of Forestry's 'seedling store':

Link

Congrats on your land purchase!!

9. NikiandAlex

NikiandAlex Member

Thanks for the info guys! I have a friend that used to work at Big Lots so I'll just ask him if they do trees. 5-6 feet would be perfect to start! The online nurserys that I found were selling 1-2 feet. Thanks for the help!

10. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

Congrats Niki! Plant anything that you can afford! Think Variety.

11. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

I'm excited for you! Start the journal and pics now, as you won't have time later. Keep us up to date on every little detail. Will you garden? Have fruit trees? What critters are you planning to get? Come on...share!

12. NikiandAlex

NikiandAlex Member

The trees we are decided on so far are apple, peach, pecan, dogwood, & magnolia. I also want a vanilla bean plant, but I think a greenhouse would be a must unless my bathroom had a skylight. I could just imagine the vanilla vine wrapped around my shower bar and smelling up the place.
    Also, gardening is a must. Blackberries, strawberries, tomatos, potatos, all your normal vegetables (corn, green beans, carrots, broc, etc). Maybe even some grapes.
    Chickens (if my dog will allow them), goats, maybe bees (w/ only 7 acres, we don't want them too close).
    I want to get involved in roses, as well.
    Originally, we thought we would just build houses and sell them, since my fiancee is skilled in construction. Like a little business. But, I've always, ALWAYS, dreamed of having my own homestead. Pathetic, but I used to draw out little maps of where I'd put my apple tree, where I'd put my bees, all the buildings I would need to house various animals and equipment. In searching for real estate and found "hobby" farms sell for much more then just a house. Finances are a big issue for us and, since spending 30 odd years working at some desk job is OUT of the question, we've decided to go for the gusto and get started. I would enjoy the work of putting it together and hopefully be able to learn from my mistakes when we have enough money for exactly what we want. BUT, as we only have $163.00 in the bank right now and have to start saving again for the well and septic, I think this will be an extremely long row to hoe!

13. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

A long row to hoe, yes, but an enjoyable one and you will benefit from the experience. Best wishes!

14. mamalisa

mamalisa Well-Known Member

Hi there!

I'm the grouch in Franklin County.....We aren't too far from you, I'd bet.

If you get fences by May, I'll give you a pair of goats to get started with. Septic and well.....I have a 600' deep well. Don't know what it cost...I'm thinking $15 a foot plus pump and hookup.

Check with your neighbors to find a good well-drilling company. It is worth taking your time.

15. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your land.