Finally got the potbellies home!

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by breezynosacek, Oct 24, 2004.

1. breezynosacek

breezynosacek Well-Known Member

Well, we finally got all four of them home.
    10/24/04
    My Homestead Diary
    Stephanie C. Nosacek

In the process, we learned a couple of things about loading potbellied pigs.

1. The lead boar, when loading pigs a couple at a time into a very small trailer, should go in first. He will effectively block the lead sow from going in. He may allow a lesser female to go with him. Take the pigs that got in the first time around back home. Rest. Go back the next weekend.

2. The littlest pig is a boar. He is just old enough to want to be leader of what is left of the pack to be bossy and young enough to hide behind mamma and ask protection from her when trying to be caught.

It takes two, but cut off all avenues of escape and make sure that the walls of whatever shute you are using are tall enough that he doesn't get the idea of jumping over. Corner him, leaving only the trailer as an avenue of escape and be ready to get the gate closed! Take him home, rest. Go back the next day.

3. Mamma is almost crippled, thought she was pregnant but she just went into heat so she can't do both. She is just fat. Poor baby is going on a diet as soon as we get her home.

Mamma is old enough and fat enough to be too stubborn to corner like junior. This calls for plan B. Plan B only works with pigs that have been handled some and are attached to the families pets. After trying to argue with her about getting on that dang trailer for over 3 hrs. After trying to entice her with sweets to climb that board down into the trailer. After calling her name, cajolling, and everything imaginable. The puppy climbs up into the trailer and she follows just as calmly and sweetly as possible.

Now, I also learned something else about these pigs. The boys out the girls in.
    The oldest boar escaped the first time and took the little girl with him. She came back and went into the pen. He refused.

When we loaded Junior into the pen, the little girl quickly put him in his place and told him, he was not going to mess up her pigpen and dump the water dish all over the place and that was that!

He escaped. He is now happily rooting around our homestead with Papa Rudy. Mamma and sis are still in the pen and happy to be by themselves. Probably commiserating about the rude crude and socially unacceptable behavior of the males.

Steph

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

I hope you got all this on tape. It will make great entertainment at family get togethers.

3. breezynosacek

Uncle Will, I do believe you are the only one with a sense of humor on this site! :haha:

I thought it was funny, we both laugh ourselves silly at their antics. We are having wonderful fun with these pigs and they make nice watch dogs (they still have tusks).

My hubby, born and raised a city kid, doesn't know whether to hug the biggest one or run for his life, LOL! It gets really intimidating when Rudy has the hair along his spine raised and he either snorts or stamps his foot.

4. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

You can also trap the fat ones in a grain sack. Prop it open with twigs and have a trail of corn into it. Stand back about ten feet, dont wear anything that jingles. Wait til it's inside and pick up the sack. Oh yea, put some cotton in your ears

5. breezynosacek

I'm not breaking my back on picking up that pig. I don't know how much she weighs but I'll bet she's too heavy for me and hubby to pick up without a chainfall.

Butchering time is going to be interesting. LOL