Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Jhn Boy ina D Trump world
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been hunting religiously, but hadn't seen a dang thing, until this afternoon. At 5:15 here come a pretty good size doe with what looked like a little buck or smaller doe following right behind. The reason I think it was a doe was becuase I thought I saw him trying to sniff her. I didn't wait around to see what it was because I knew the one in front was the larger of the two and I wanted meat. I laid down this pretty good sized doe at 140 yards from the stand with a 25/06. The pic of her hanging she may look a little thin in the belly; it's because she's already been gutted. I may not sleep tonight, as this was my first deer!

I hope these links work...

·
In memoriam
79,016 Posts
Congratulations on your first one!
You sure picked a cold, wet day to do it!

·
Premium Member
4,443 Posts
Yes, definitely a big congradulations on your first deer. From here on out you will be slaying them left and right.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Congrats on the first deer,hope the hunting there is better than here,couldn't find a deer here with a ojibwa war party.

·
Jhn Boy ina D Trump world
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I shot her right before it started raining yesterday evening. Since then, it has been a deluge. I gutted her last night and hung her up. Today after church I skinned her, cut her up, and froze her. The skinning was horrible as I was outside and it's a cold, nasty, miserable rain here in Western NC

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
I shot her right before it started raining yesterday evening. Since then, it has been a deluge. I gutted her last night and hung her up. Today after church I skinned her, cut her up, and froze her. The skinning was horrible as I was outside and it's a cold, nasty, miserable rain here in Western NC

Something you said here has always been funny to me. When I used to work for a company, if they had told me to go outside and work in some of the nasty weather that I deer hunted in, I would have told them to get stuffed. Amazing isn't it, that you'll go hunting in some of the most miserable weather imaginable and enjoy it, but if someone asks you to go to work in the same weather you get plumb mad.
I guess it's all in ones perspective.
Gotta have our priorities straight, don't we? There's hunting and fishing and then there's pretty near everything else in a distant second.:D

·
If I need a Shelter
21,644 Posts
Congrats on your first :rock:

big rockpile

·
Registered
918 Posts
Looks like your first Whitetail will provide a good supply of tender meat. Enjoy your sucess with pride and satisfaction...Glen

·
agmantoo
10,852 Posts
TSYORK
There will be excuses from here out. You now know how it is done! : )

1 - 15 of 15 Posts