Finally got Garden in!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by shadowwalker, May 27, 2005.

1. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Well-Known Member

We bought the house and 5 1/2 acres in January, moved in February 2nd. Worked on it to make it alittle better. Nothing extravagant at all. Started trying to find someone to brushog off about 4 acres, enough for a 16 x 30 shed/office, two 25 x 48 greenhouses, a garden about 2 acres in size. After six weeks of no one showing up to brush hog. I bought a Ryobi gas weed eater with a blade attachment started cutting Black Rasberrys, wild Roses, vines, and other stuff. Also got a Husquvarna garden tractor that I used to mow with. I got most mowed and looked good. At this time I was looking for someone to plow/disc or till my garden. At this time I was fighting the city ( I live 8 1/2 mile out in the country) planning for a permit to build my shed. And trying to find out if I could get a electric line into my shed also. Finally on april 4th I got a man out to plow. He did a bad job used a large plow and didn't have consistant depth anywhere from 2 inches to over a foot deep. Also I have alot of rocks slate I guess. I started taking the rocks out by hand with a trailer on my tractor, wheel barrow, or just by picking them up and walking out to the edge of the plowed ground. So I could get to them with the tractor. This is somewhat the reason of bad plowjob. He didn't answer my calls to come disc. So I started trying to find someone to disc this. In the mean time I started Tilling this with a reartine tiller. But to do this I had to turn over the plow rows and hand chop them with a hand pick. to make them small enough to till halfway easy. So it didn't feel like I was trying to hold onto a yearling steer by the tail. On may 13th I found a man to disc the garden. He did as good a job as he could.I again took rocks out of the garden, then roto tilled by hand. Got seeds in 5 days ago, also some plants. Got some little plants sprouting up. Now I get to go back ans re-start the shed building, I got the electrical permit too. Have to move my greenhouse stakes over 7 feet and get o.k.'d to build, after shed. There is alot more to this story but for now it's about the garden. shadowwalker

2. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

Boy, I'm tired just listening. What are you planning to grow? What kind of soil do you have? Have you gardened before? What zone are you in?

3. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

Whew!!! You been bizzzzyyy Seems like you will never finish there is ALWAYS something that needs doin. But its your own and that is so cool have fun!!

4. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Is your soil really rocky? If it is, you might have an easier time of it doing a combination of lasagna and squarefoot gardening. I have hideously rocky soil and that's how I do my gardens. Works like a charm.

And I agree --- you've been busy!

5. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

From another, post of mine, about no till:

And we won't plant this year until next week -- we're pretty far north.

Alex

6. shawnee

shawnee Well-Known Member

Your saga sounds like ours. The l3 acres we moved to with orchard had a house that needed a lot of work. I still don't sleep in our bedroom; ceiling is THAT bad. Tore up carpet, put new carpet in daughter's room, painted her room and papered living room, laid fake wood flooring in kitchen and called it quits... too much to do outside. It is starting to look up now out there but you can;t let your guard down til late fall to do more work on house. Always something. Greenhouses full of cukes and tomatoes, beans, peppers (hot), swiss chard, crooked neck squash and other winter squashes in. But planted triple crown blackberries (48) and their trellis system is pretty involved - that comes next. We lost our peach crop and 80% of apple crop this year due to very late frost/freezes so at least we don't have to worrry too much about keeping up with pruning and thinning - mainly concerned with fruiting trees alone right now. Takes off pressure; also DONE with asparagus patch. My God that thing drives me to tears. 1/4 acre by hand is a chore and a half - in hot weather twice a day is necessary or it goes straight to head. Money good, though - came in handy when hubby had hernia surgery (no disability of course - he doesn't "believe" in it as nothing ever happens to him!) and rear axle went out on tractor. Heck of a first year - we moved in February too! Lasagna gardening and lots and lots of cardboard/newspaper/leaves helped us on our old place we gardened. Soil here is great - takes a lot of work with clay soil or rocks. I don't envy you there but it IS doable. Best of luck and hang in there - first year is always a tester - next year will be better!! Or so they say....

7. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Well-Known Member

We have corn, beans, squash, beets, cucumbers, tomatos,pereniel flowers, amaranth, asparagus, eggplant, pumkins, watermelon, cantalope, all various kinds. With odball oltime and ethnic "others". The ground is clay and very rocky. We lucked out and bought a new Husky 7 horse power tiller that has the capability to till the blades backwards against the wheel rotation, and is belt driven. This allows me to till until a rock stops it and back rotate the blades to kick it out. I think this would be bad on a gear tiller. The entire garden is on a hill so I think I'm layering it next time so I don't get alot of runoff, when it rains hard. Or if I find a big box of money I'll make it above ground boxes in rows about 4 feet apart. shadowwalker