Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got a scale to weigh the rabbits with. The rabbits I have weighed are mutts. All does from 9 weeks to 3 monthes.
one doe weighs 3 1/2 pounds at 9 weeks. I expected her to be at least half pound heavier. This after feeding only greens and some rabbit buiscuits that I make myself,and a little rolled oats .
That's why I was asking if it took longer to raise the fryers wth little or no pellets.
The other 2 does I don't know the accual ages of, so I will need to be weighing them over the next several weeks to know if the green feeding is working or not. With out the scale I haven't been able to tell if they are growing from day to day.
Since I don't know the rabbits back grounds, I'll be using the scale to determine if they are continuing to grow at all, as they may be too small of rabbits to be meat rabbits.

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
Well, a scale will definitely help you to know where you are at. It will be interesting to hear how they shape, since it will be awhile before I have anything much to weigh. Kits due next weekend... keeping my fingers crossed that all will be well as usual.

Three and a half pounds at 9 weeks does sound a little small. What about her littermates?

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have her litter mates. I bought her for $5 from a lady who was afraid her other 2 pet buck rabbits might breed her.
She was only 3 weeks old when I bought her. i think this may have alot to do with her small size. it's possible that may have set her back as much as 3 weeks from where she should be. I didn't realze she was struggling so much till this morning. I put her in a cage by her self that may be a better situation for her.
I hope she can catch up, she's supposed to be a breeding doe. My dh promised we would not butcher her. not sure if I can keep that promise.
We'll be putting our nest boxes in on Aug. 4th for our first full sized litters. Before this we've only had mini rabbit litters.

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
Three weeks is awfully young to be weaned, not to mention having to adjust to a new home, no matter how good it is. It was bound to set her back. I'd give her some time before making a decision. Likely the woman who sold her only wanted to soothe her conscience by getting your DH to promise not to butcher her. I know, I know... I'm a tad cynical. :shrug:

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think she was the one who owned the litter. I think some one else did. She bought 3 babies. I think she did the right thing selling her rather than housing her with 2 brothers. She just wanted pets and not breeders for meat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts