Finally found pigs

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by 6e, Oct 17, 2005.

1. 6e

6e Farm lovin wife Supporter

After a year of searching we were beginning to wonder if anyone in Kansas raised pigs anymore, but we finally got our hands on 3 little gilts! Yippee.
    Their names: Bessie, Rose and Princess. (Don't ask!) LOL :happy:
    I would post pictures if someone would explain to me how to do that.....

2. bretthunting

bretthunting Well-Known Member

hey 6e
    although i live 2 miles into NE. we consider ourselves Kansans (born and raised in kansas) and we too have been looking for some pigs,where did you find yours.

3. John Schneider

John Schneider Well-Known Member

That's excellent. We were in the same boat here in Alberta. I too finally found somebody that was still raising pigs outdoors and I picked up four gilts on Friday. I can't believe how difficult it was to find hogs that weren't raised in barns. I paid $25 ea.! Bonus!

4. TurnKey

TurnKey Well-Known Member

Sounds like there was a nationwide shortage of feeder pigs this year. In Michigan, I looked for feeders from March until I finally found some in September. They were small- about 25#, and the price was high- $40 each; but at least I have mine. Word has it that even at the auction yards, when a guy would come in with feeders, they were paid for and gone before the owner even got out of his truck! Word must be out about how delicious home raised pork is! Congrats on finally getting yours.

5. 6e

We found our pigs from a man that lives 6 miles north of Canton Ks. He had a bunch to sell. At that time they were 45# and he was asking $35 ea. I can find his number for you again and e-mail it to you if you wish. He had two more litters up and coming, they weren't quite weaned yet and he had bred back 3 more sows.
    In case you're wondering where Canton is, it's about 12 miles west of Hillboro, or about 20 miles north of Newton. For us it was about a 2 hour drive, but we're in far SE Kansas.
    Let me know if you want his number. :)

6. fts074

fts074 Member

Hi 6e,
    I, too, would like his number! I live in Harvey County and have been having trouble finding pigs. What kind were these?
    Thanks,
    Michelle in KS

7. 6e

I hate to post his number out here for the whole world to see, but it is:
    620-628-4388

I don't think they're any particular kind, just mixes. His boar is a pure bred, oh well shoot, I can't think of what they're called. :bash: They're the big red hogs. His sows are just mixes, mostly Yorkshire I think. Anyway, the two litters up and coming are all pink pigs.

Good luck! :)

8. Trisha in WA

Trisha in WA Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, here in WA pigs aren't hard to find, but the price, like all things in WA, is higher then most of the country. I paid $60 each for my 3 and they were about 8 weeks old...don't remember how much they weighed. They are coming along nicely. Should be good eats in Jan!
    Blessings,

9. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

Oh, there are a LOT of people raising pigs in KS, y'all are just on the wrong side of the state! Here you can't throw a stick without hitting a pig farm. Granted, most are of the commercial variety that you wouldn't be able to buy from anyway, but we have them, whether we wanted them or not. We do still have family farmers raising them, so we can still find them relatively easy.