Finally Finished

Discussion in 'Goats' started by brierpatch1974, Dec 23, 2005.

1. brierpatch1974

brierpatch1974 Well-Known Member

Well I am finally finished with fencing in some land with goat wire and building 2 shelters. My shelters are each 12X15 and have a bench 2 feet off the floor on 3 sides. They also have a side roof on one side of building that sticks out 5 feet from the wall and runs the length of wall wich is 15 feet. Under this is where I will feed and water them.
    Now as far as the fencing of the land goes I decided sense goats like rough forage to give them as much as I could. I have very little grassy area. about 100 feet X 30 feet stretch. Rest is all woods and is right at 1.5 acres.
    Now what type of goats to get and how many. My son wants to leave his nigerians at his grandfathers farm and get some Boers wich is fine with me But I would like to get at least two good milkers. <please no earless goats lol my son is terrified of this breed for some reason.> Even if she gets crossed bred thats fine with me. I not worried about them being registered but do want 100% boers.
    Now how many goats can I keep in this amount of space? I know two sheds probably not needed but heck the lumber was free sense my brother owns a portable saw mill and other equipment hehe. I may use one shed for storage and close it up. Not sure yet what to do. They are at differant corners of the lot fenced in.
    Thanks for all the advice I really appreciate it.

Rick

2. Sher

Sher Well-Known Member

Gee Rick...it sure sounds like you have done a great job getting things ready for the new herd! I am impressed...sounds just great.

I am partial to the Boer/milk goat breed. And I have had some of my 50/50 girls on the milkstand and they do just great.

Gee...I just had six girls hit the ground and Terry just had a pile a boys...LOL!!! WE will help ya out!!

3. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

Congrats on getting the fencing done. Where do ya live, we have a Fullblood boer boy that will be ready to go to a new home in a few months, we don't have any girls avaliable because we are trying to increase our herd size right now. Good Luck, and if you live in Florida and are interested in our boy then just give me a PM and I will send you his info. Good Luck, bye.

4. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

Nubians are a good breed to cross with Boers. If you live in Montana, I have a friend who has Boers and she sells some goats each year. They are out of good bloodlines including Hill Country, one of the first Boer herds in the US.