Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Very simple strategy - sleep in the same room as my DD!! She obviously tastes WAY better than I do as she is covered in bites and I don't have a single one :shrug:

It works for me but she's not too happy about it LOL

hoggie

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Something I learned a couple of years ago and it really does work. Abstain from eating bananas before and during mosquito season and they will not bite you. We did this after an Old Guy told us and we went 2 seasons without getting mosquito bites, even though there are clouds of them devouring everyone else.

A couple of weeks ago, DD brought home a big bunch of delicious bananas which no one could resist and we are still being chewed up.

From now on, we will attempt to have the self control to eat bananas only in the dead of winter.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Abstain from eating bananas?

My wife always thought it was the other way around, that eating bananas repels them! We go for a walk out the logging road and I never get bit because they are all over her.

Wait until I tell her... :banana02:

·
Menagerie More~on
2,045 Posts
I never eat bananas (the produce here is yucky), and I get eaten alive! My mother went nuts when I was a kid trying this and that remedy, some medical some kooky. I still am a mosquito, biting fly, and flea magnet.

I cover myself in that Avon skin oil (whatsit called? Doh) every evening, and by the time I'm done with chores and ready for bed I am brown with dust mud. I hate mosquito season! Something itches from June until September.

·
Registered
10,857 Posts
try eating a lot of vinegar on everything you can. it works.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Idahoe is my exact mirror image in this....I never eat bananas....and am always eaten alive....the resulting bite will puff up and remain that way until it is opened...I usually take my fingernail and make an X in the middle of the puffy bite....once I left one alone completely trying to find out if they would go away without being opened and this particular bite lasted 3 full weeks before I couldnt take it anymore and scratched it open!!!

Avon Skin So Soft works but as far as products go, it isnt the healthiest with the petroleum oil but whatever floats your boat...I for one dont like the oily feeling

listed ingredients:
MINERAL OIL/HUILE MINERALE
ISOPROPYL PALMITATE
DICAPRYL ADIPATE
PARFUM/FRAGRANCE
DIOCTYL SODIUM SULFOSUCCINATE
BHT
DAUCUS CAROTA SATIVA (CARROT) SEED OIL

Rachel

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
B1 is helpful, load up for a couple weeks and see if that helps. Lots of garlic is sometimes effective for some-you can even just take the garlic pills.

·
Menagerie More~on
2,045 Posts
RachAnn in NW Okla said:
Idahoe is my exact mirror image in this....I never eat bananas....and am always eaten alive....the resulting bite will puff up and remain that way until it is opened...I usually take my fingernail and make an X in the middle of the puffy bite....once I left one alone completely trying to find out if they would go away without being opened and this particular bite lasted 3 full weeks before I couldnt take it anymore and scratched it open!!!

Avon Skin So Soft works but as far as products go, it isnt the healthiest with the petroleum oil but whatever floats your boat...I for one dont like the oily feeling

listed ingredients:
MINERAL OIL/HUILE MINERALE
ISOPROPYL PALMITATE
DICAPRYL ADIPATE
PARFUM/FRAGRANCE
DIOCTYL SODIUM SULFOSUCCINATE
BHT
DAUCUS CAROTA SATIVA (CARROT) SEED OIL

Rachel
I hate how it feels too! It's what I have right now and I'm too cheap to buy something else while I still have it.

I know about the scratching . . . I had polka dotted legs as a kid, and as soon as I scratched the bite open it stopped itching. Not wanting to be polka dotted NOW, I take a diphenhydramine tablet, crush it in a tiny bit of water and rub it into the bite. It cuts the itch right away, and the bite doesn't last as long. You can use one tablet on several bites, ask me how I know :D .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts