Finally, a goat with really good milk

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Paula, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

Yipee!!! We bought a big Nubian doe from a friend of ours - mostly as a favor - and she's in milk. I have never had goat milk that didn't have a goaty aftertaste, sometimes I've had some with only a very faint aftertaste (I have a very sensitive sense of smell/taste,) but never with none.
    This milk has no goat aroma/aftertaste. Zero, zip, nada. Even in hot coffee/tea. I can honestly say her milk is as good as any of our cows milk, something I never believed could happen. And we've made no efforts to keep her away from our buck, no exceptional cleaning of milking equipment, no rapid cooling of the milk, etc.
    I've always heard Nubian milk tends to be the best-tasting, now I believe it.

2. steff bugielski

steff bugielski Well-Known Member

I have been milking grade goats for years. I do have a few pure nubians now but none of my milk has ever tasted "off", except if the goat had a touch of mastisis. Or improper handling of the milk.
    I think the problem might have been unhealthy udders not breed of goat.
    steff

3. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

The other milk didn't taste "off." The other goats didn't have mastitis. The other milk was from different goats, different breeds, at many different times. The absolute worst was from a Togg, next worse from an alpine, closest to acceptable (to me) was a Saanan my sis once had.
    Like I said, I have a very sensitive nose/palate and can detect the goat aftertaste when nobody else can.

4. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Great! I am always happy when someone discovers the wonders of goat milk! I also am one of those with a highly developed sense of smell and taste. And i can detect an off flavour when no one else can. I am very happy with my goats' milk too.

5. tioga12

tioga12 Well-Known Member

I haven't had my first goats for long-a little over 6 weeks, I guess. Sometimes the milk has a definite touch of "goatiness" to it; most times not. I milk in the open, keep bedding clean to prevent odors, filter and cool it very quickly, thoroughly clean my ss pails with hot soapy dishwater and bleach, air dry things...all the recommendations. Any goatiness is probably not related to the browse, as that would probably be indicated by bitterness or another off flavor. I am milking two Alpines and an Oberhasli. They are fed reg goat feed and sweet feed, alfalfa pellets, beet pulp, BOSS, free choice hay, and sweetlix 2X daily. So I wonder why sometimes the milk is SO good, and others it is objectionable to me?
    If I ever have the potential of selling it I want to be sure the milk is consistently tasty. Any feedback on this?
    BTW, the milkers last kidded Nov.-April.
    I wonder what you all think about the molasses factor? The sweet feed I get has a lot of molasses. But I don't think the milk flavor has changed since I started using it.

6. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

I quit feeding sweetfeed and the flavour improved dramatically. I think there is definately something to it.

7. tioga12

tioga12 Well-Known Member

So what is your base concentrate like? Do you have your own mix?

8. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

This is the grain mix I have been consistantly using for the whole milking season:

5 parts whole oats

1 part corn chops

1 part BOSS (Black Oil Sunflower Seeds)

2 parts Beet Pulp

They get 1 1/2- 2 lbs on the milkstand and are a bit on the plump side. They get alfalfa free choice, or as close to free choice as possible....they run out sometimes between feedings...but there is no limit to the amount they can have. They also get grass hay.

9. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

If you think Nubian milk is good, wait until you try Kinder milk!

Kathleen

10. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

Gah! I want one!

I tried my pygmy's milk when I milked her when I was drying her up... found out after I tasted it that you're probably not supposed to drink that milk, lol. it was VERY goaty. Hehe.

11. prairiecomforts

prairiecomforts Well-Known Member

Thanks Diane for sharing your "recipe"! I also have noticed a off taste when feeding sweet feed. I am going to try this mix!

12. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

We no longer feed a sweet feed. It's been a few years now since we switched to a dry pellet and we noticed a definate improvement in taste.
    We are currently milking 10 Oberhasli and there is 1 doe with off-tasting milk (regardless of her feed). Not necessarily 'goatie' tasting, just a little different than the others, so I milk her last and her milk goes to the pigs. They don't seem to mind the flavor :p

Another major, major factor with the flavor of goat milk is the use of plastics. DO NOT use plastics. Use stainless steel and/or glass for the best tastes.

tioga12- Be sure to rinse your ss buckets with luke warm water, then clean with hot and an acid rinse (available at tractor supply or other farm store). Then rinse and drip dry. Do not use hot water until after it's rinsed with luke warm water. The acid rinse will remove any "milk stone" build up on the ss buckets. It will keep them nice & shiny too.

TexCountryWoman, Are you offering any minerals to your goats? Everything you're feeding sounds great and I'm sure they love it but I'd be concerned about them getting the necessary vits and mins that they require such as selenium and copper.

13. Bella Star

Bella Star LaMancha & Boer

I have mama doe and her 2 twin ff doe LaManchas and I have never had a off taste. I just love to give people the goat milk test . The first thing is I get them to smell the milk like fine wine and then I ask them what they smell and they all say absolutely nothing .... my milk has no smell and taste like half and half..... WONDERFUL !
    I feed 2 parts alfalfa pellets and 1 part crimped oats and 1/2 part all stock and 1/2 part BOSS with browse and some alfalfa hay as we are very dry right now. Loose tech minerals from TS and baking soda. My girls have been milking since early Feb. and are still milking , but production has slowed.

14. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

I have been drinking the milk of my friend's Nigies and it is delicious. She feeds sweet feed, and does not even wipe the does teats prior to milking! The milk she sold me is in plastic gallon containers. The milk, even after several days, does not develop a goaty taste at all.

Delicious.

15. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Yes, of course, I keep a good loose goat mineral available to my goats at all times. It is freshened on a very regular basis to keep them eating it. :)