Filler material needed

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by agmantoo, Jul 5, 2005.

1. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

I have had an entrance door kicked in on a rental house and the damage to the door jamb and the rough opening where the dead bolt fastened is bad. I need to fill the void behind the casing with something that will bond to the split 2 x 4 and take a fastener to permit me to reinstall the receiver part of the dead bolt. Any suggestions?

2. Rick

Rick Well-Known Member Supporter

Couldn't you toe-nail in a section of 2x4, and cut out for the deadbolt?

3. agmantoo

Rick, this is a relatively new home and the door itself is fine and the trim is intact and the house is brick veneered and I do not want to remove the exterior casing nor do I want to take the door down. The only damage is to the jamb and the stud behind the casing/jamb on the inside of the door on the latch side.

4. 2story

2story Well-Known Member

if it is ugly I would use bondo as filler if we are trying to piece the jam back together tite bond 2. i hope i understand the question.

5. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

Drill it and use J-B WEld on the wood.... the drilling will let you have a better surface for the J-B to take hold... if the damage ist to bad to the 2x4, you wouldnt have to add anything else, but you might wanna try adding some sheetrock screws to suck it together as you apply the J-B.... kinda spendy depending how much you se, but not as much as tearing the wall apart to change out the stud.....

Ive done this to older houses where i needed something to hold the deadbolt... and even di it to a hollowcore door when i had to replace a doorknob and didnt have enough wood to hold it proper....

William

6. ed/IL

ed/IL Well-Known Member

Perhaps a piece of plywood glued to the side of split 2x4 would do the trick. If the space is to tight try Luan. Repair the jam with bonddo or wood putty.

7. agmantoo

The damage has been repaired. I took the casing off on the inside of the house and managed to get some glue into the split of the 2 x 4 and then I cross drilled the stud and using long drywall type screws and pulled the stud together. Then I took a large quantity of epoxy and filled the space between the stud and the door jamb to give strength the the jamb. Afterward, I used some super long screws to reinstall oversize striker plates for the deadbolt and the main door hardware. Tomorrow I will rework the damage the the drywall and in a new casing. Thanks for the suggestions and the support!

8. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

What did we do before cordless drills and drywall screws?

mikell