Figuring roof pitch

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by FolioMark, Nov 10, 2004.

1. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    Sometimes I am a bit technologically challenged so maybe one of you can help me with this. Im going to be cutting some rafters and I need to cut the ends to rest flush against the ridge board. This side of the roof rises 2 feet on a run of 8 feet.
    Is that a 3/12 pitch on my framing square? Seems like that would be right. I hate fractions. Thanks for any help. :confused:

2. Mudwoman

Mudwoman Well-Known Member

It is a 3/12. If you are using a metal roof, it will be fine, but if you are going to be doing shingles, 4/12 is the minimum. That would be a rise of 32 inches rather than the 24.

3. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    Thanks mudwoman. Its a metal roof so I will be fine.

4. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

FolioMark, May I make a suggestion. The 3/12 pitch is fine but as added insurance I suggest that you buy some roll caulking from a source that sells metal roofing supplies. This caulking is applied the length of each sheet and prevents wind from blowing raining under the lap when it is raining heavily and virtually flooding the roof. Also, make your laps to where the prevailing winds are hindered from pushing water under the joint.

5. ratherbefishin

ratherbefishin Well-Known Member

snow load is the biggest factor in determining roof pitch, if you aren't dealing with that, a low pitched roof is fine, and from a heating perspective, preferable