Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over next door they have A fig tree. I told someone else about it now they want one! my question is are they Self pollinating or do the require another type of Fig tree to make fruit.. The figs were Oh so good. The nectar was dripping from the blossom ends.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Hello James
You can propagate figs from cuttings. Wait till the tree naturally losses its leaves in the fall and cut a 15-18 inch branch tip. Plant it in the ground so that only one or two buds are above ground. You can probubly increase survival a bit by dipping the end of the cutting in rooting hormone, a dry powder availble in Home Depot and gardening stores. By spring it will have rooted and will start to sprout new leaves. Expect your first figs the following year. They are self fertile, so any fig planted alone will still bear fruit.
Michael

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
Perfect timing James! A friend and I were discussing figs just yesterday :) Michael, thanks for the info on starting a fig tree from a branch cutting. Now I just have to find someone with a fig tree who won't mind me taking a few cuttings from it this fall!!

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
Just thought of another figgy question. If I buy an established fig tree that has been container grown, would it be okay to plant it now or should I wait until cooler weather?

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I would say a container grown tree can be planted now. But remember, that tree is used to being watered very often. I dont know where you are (Texas is big) but I have a few figs you can have cuttings from. I propagated a few this past year from some different "homestead" trees and bought a few "known" varieties as well. The ones I bought last winter produced figs this year.

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
I have a fig tree that I bought from a catalog the winter of 2006 when it was only about 3 inches tall. It is about 2 feet in a large container and always either been in the house during the winter or on the porch during this summer. But..maybe someone has an idea for me. The leaves are turing brown around the edges. I did repot it and was told that even though I water it it needs to be really, really soaked and then dry out. Anyone have any ideas for me. I hate to have it die on me. I don't think I could actually plant it outside as we live in north central PA mountains and winters are harsh. Help !!

·
Adventuress--Definition 2
4,174 Posts
I live in MD; all of my figs live outside. Some winters they do die back to the roots; they come back. I would suggest rooting several cuttings and planting them outside next spring. Because I don't have "indoor" figs, I haven't a clue what is causing your leaf problems; it could be rust or it could be nothing. http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/fig/ are where people obsessed with all things ficus congregate; your question has probably been addressed there.

·
Premium Member
5,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can only find One source for fig trees. That was Gurney's, They will ship in Sept, Thats A plus for me!! Any ideas where else to find them??

·
4,174 Posts
James, go to the link I posted; I suspect you'll find other places mentioned in the threads. My best fig (unnamed, unknown but possibly a Violette de Bourdeax came from *gasp* Michigan Bulbs or one of "those" nurseries over 20 years ago; I call her "blackie" and ficophiles call her flowers the best they've ever eaten. Gurney's sells, I believe, brown turkey, which is fine but very pedestrian and only produces in fall. If you truly love figs, you want one that has both a breba and fall crop and maybe something with a little bigger flower--possibly green or black--expand your horizons!

katydid *who has 18+ varieties growing in her tiny backyard and refuses to eat these nasty things*

·
Registered
12,332 Posts
The best way of getting new fig trees is to ask someone that has an established tree for sprouts. My trees have dozens of sprouts each year. Shipping live trees this time of year would seem to be pretty risky...

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Do any of you plan to put some cuttings on the barter board this fall? I'll buy or trade if you do. I've always wanted a fig tree.

·
4,174 Posts
Spinner, I could but haven't a clue how to charge. What I have started are not named varieties for the most part but excellent figs according to those who love these blasted things. What I have growing right now are hardy in zone 6 and some are quite large because they overwintered OUT of the ground in pots exposed to the elements. I do know how to ship and pack but prefer Priority mail for my babies which adds expense because a rooted figlet is about 2lbs; I'm leery of parcel post. I can start 1000 tomorrow if there's interest and they'll be ready in October for warm weather folks or I could hold until spring for those in colder zones. Figs will be my homesteading crop (plants and flowers) at some point but not yet. The figfairy hates to disappoint and won't. Opinions? Feedback? Yes, I would trade cuttings/a healthy limb for a rooted figlet...

·
Master Of My Domain
7,220 Posts
i am a bit north of you katy...near gettysburg. do you think a fig would survive year to year outside? i always wanted to try one. i remember we talked once before and i mentioned a fig tree i saw in pittsburgh. it was a very large fig tree planted in someone's yard.

·
4,174 Posts
MELOC said:
i am a bit north of you katy...near gettysburg. do you think a fig would survive year to year outside? i always wanted to try one. i remember we talked once before and i mentioned a fig tree i saw in pittsburgh. it was a very large fig tree planted in someone's yard.
Figs have survived for eons; they are indestructible. We'll have to talk again about figlets, k? I'd love to field test a couple where it's colder than where I am but I told you that, silly. ;) (I also told you to go get cuttings from that tree or do you not remember? Keep your clippers in the car until you see the whites of their eyes. :cool: )

·
Master Of My Domain
7,220 Posts
i remember the cutting conversation. the problem is that my friend in pittsburgh no longer lives next door to that tree. that makes the "commando cutting operation" a bit more difficult, lol.

·
4,174 Posts
MELOC said:
i remember the cutting conversation. the problem is that my friend in pittsburgh no longer lives next door to that tree. that makes the "commando cutting operation" a bit more difficult, lol.
I drive up to houses where I don't know people but see a ficus in the yard and end up with clippings: flattery works as does an engaging smile. Be charming, dear prince. ;) (Yes, I'm known among ficophiles for my persistence and insistence...even suppliers and growers...oh, my!)

·
Anchorite Gardener
194 Posts
katydidonce said:
flattery works as does an engaging smile. Be charming, dear prince.
Yes, indeed. Many years ago working as a pizza delivery person I had it down pat.
"I couldn't help but taste your beautiful blackbery/mulberry/persimmon/...; I would really appreciate it if I could get a start." Never failed.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts