Figs?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Ohio dreamer, Nov 17, 2006.

1. Ohio dreamer

Ohio dreamer 1/2 bubble off plumb

Ok, I'm looking for some help. We are getting ready to move to Hungary for 2 years. In the yard there is a fig treee which we as renters have use of. I was born and raised in Ohio! I have no knowledges of figs other than what to do with them once I purchase the little dices treats from the bulk food store. I haven't found much online other than sales pitches and recipes.

question:

1) do I need to do anything to assist the tree? Water? Feed? etc?
    2) what is there growing season? Havest in spring? summer? fall? etc
    3) how do I prepare them? I'm sure there are seeds or a pit I'll need to remove. Skin? I will most likely dry them so they resemble what I am used too (Looking forward to finally be able to use some that arn't covered in sugar or cornstarch!!) Any pre-drying things I need to know?

If anyone know a link to a website that could be helpful I would appreciate it. I would hate to miss out on the free resource!!

2. blue gecko

blue gecko Well-Known Member

I love figs! The seeds are tiny and edible and the skin is eaten. They can be eaten fresh, dried, preserved in jams or syrups. The seasons vary depending on the variety. Check out this link for some more info:

http://www.justfruitsandexotics.com/

3. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

I let me fig tree do what it wants to. We get fruit year-round, but then again, I am in So. Cal. They are a member of the Ficus family, but not as tempermental as the common household trees. The Filapina women use the leaves in some recipes. Every once in a while I feed it fish fertilizer.

4. BeckyW

BeckyW Well-Known Member

Ditto Birdie poo's advice - fig trees just are. Seriously, they are a very low maintanence tree that pretty much take care of themselves. We didn't prune and we deep watered about once a week in southern California (the land of no-such-thing-as-summer-rainfall). I love figs too - especially the Italian Honey Figs. My advice is ask the neighbors when you get to Hungary - they'll be happy share the local wisdom.

I was in Prague many years ago. Gorgeous city. Gorgeous country. And lovely lovely people. Enjoy your adventure! (And before you return stateside, stock up on Hungarian seeds, especially heirlooms.)
    BW

5. swampgirl

swampgirl Well-Known Member

What a great idea BeckyW---to stock up on heirloom seeds in Hungary.
    I have a fig tree & do nothing to it. Sometimes I get two batches(or harvests) of figs, sometimes only one. They like full sun, but will still produce in partial shade. They may loose leaves in winter, but come back in spring. I've never fertilized it.
    Figs are easy to cook with sugar, lemon juice, & very little water. Then can in a water bath. They keep well & are great to have with hot toast or a grill cheese sandwich on a cold winters day.

6. Sherrynboo

Sherrynboo Well-Known Member Supporter

I can't grow a fig tree! I have tried three times and every one has died. I am going to try one more time. The lady I am getting this one from says fall is the best time for planting so I hope she knows what she is talking about. Everyone else around here can grow them, don't know why I cant :(

Sherry in GA

7. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

Have only had mine a few months, and hope it survives transplanting when we put in the pool! My only problem wiht it is birds: all figs were vanishing til I finally found a few hlafpecked ones. SO I wrap each green fig in plastic to keep it for myslef and have gotten several finally.

8. Ohio dreamer

Ohio dreamer 1/2 bubble off plumb

Thank you all!! From what I have been told it is very unusually to be able to grow figs in Budapest, but this backyard has the perfect mix of sun, warmth, etc. I'll keep in mind the bag trick in the event the birds figure out when they are ripe before I do! The seed idea is great, too. I'll have two years to find those seeds. Then if all goes acording to plan we'll come back and find our homestead!!

9. buzzboy

buzzboy Well-Known Member

Hey Sherrynboo, from what I know figs like a soil that is not so rich(They actually do well in our TN clay???) and that the roots like to be confined...as in boxed in!
    I'm told that if not confined or in hard soils that the roots will spread very VERY far and that the top of the tree will not produce until the roots reach a point that they cannot spread any longer .

10. Raftercat5

Raftercat5 Kathy in S. Carolina

Buzzboy, I hope you're wrong about that bit of info, because I have 2 fig trees we planted. We're in the Sandhills of S. Carolina, and it's ALL SAND here. If those fig roots keep growing, they'll end up sprouting somewhere in China I think. I had teeny tiny figs that didn't grow, but dropped off from my 3 ft. tall fig tree. The other one is about a foot tall and was planted this past summer. Do I need to dig it up and put it in a box of some sort with clay?
    - Kathy