Fighting does!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by AnnaS, Apr 4, 2005.

1. AnnaS

AnnaS Well-Known Member

Two of my does had a knockdown fight this morning. I watched for about 10 minutes before I saw blood and broke it up. They were really going at it, not just a little dominance or good-bit-of-hay tussle. The yearling doe was the aggressor and her 2 year old auntie lost the fight and was trying to get away from her. The yearling just kept chasing her and hitting her. They've both cut up their foreheads, the yearling has broken off her scur, and the 2 yo is limping.

Why would the yearling do this? She is #4 of 4 in the pecking order and the auntie is #2. They are both due on 4 May. These two have been together in the herd since the yearling was 3 days old.

2. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

HORMONES!!!!

They tend to get a little nasty near the end....mine are doing the same thing, just not that bad! But I have had newly introduced goats really pound each other.

3. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

Yep, mine turned into real witches there toward the end. That is all they wanted to do was fight and butt each other and I mean go at it. Thank goodness they are calming down since they kidded. As a matter of fact a 2 year old new mama was today jumping and playing king of the hill with our 3 year old son. She was acting like a kid herself playing and playing. :p

4. AnnaS

AnnaS Well-Known Member

Hormones! That explains it. The yearling has always been a bubble off plumb and she has been getting cranky. She's so big she can't find a comfortable way to lie down and her mama no longer comes running when she yells.

Poor baby!