Fifth wheel camper question.

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by Jim&Chele, Oct 16, 2006.

1. Jim&Chele

Jim&Chele Well-Known Member

We just got our first fifth wheel camper and have a question.We have seen in our camping trips that alot of people witht 5th wheel have a tri pod under the hitch pin.We were wondering if this is something we should get or just think about getting.I has two jack legs in the front like all other 5th wheels,We were thinking we ought to get one becuse we do consider ourselves as larger people.All input will be greatly thanked

2. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

First off I pull 53 trailers and there is A good reason to put Extra support, If the ground is wet orhas A poor sub soil the trailer might sink in. I have had M T semi trailers sink in to the nose on me. And A $550.00 wrecker bill is NOT fun.You can use the supports If you can get them, If not you might have them made. Heres A hint If you want them built try A H S shop class.

3. Jim&Chele

Jim&Chele Well-Known Member

Thank James,I was going to build it myself but was just wanting others opions.

4. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Well-Known Member

Get them you may never know the heartache of needing and not having one. I came back to my trailer from dredgeing in a colorado river for gold. I had my right side of the camper down below the asphalt line and twisted. I had to get a wrecker to come and lift the trailer and set it on new asphalt. Moved about 32 inches in fact. Cost? Missed a day of dredgeing and spent $366. 00 I also had to get rid of camper as it developed a wobble while towing at speeds over 70 miles an hour. I had it over four years and over 80 several times and more when passing someone.