Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I thought I had heard it all, but nooooo.
The school sent DS home today and the Dr. said it was Fifth Disease..

It is fairly harmless and very strange. He looks as if he has been beaten on each cheek and has blotches on his arms, ribs and legs like the ones on his face. Nothing to be done but wait it out. I get two more days with him home.. today was the first day back from break and he lasted an hour.
sigh.
I hope I don't get it.. I don't wanna have big, HOT blotches on my face.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Poor guy -- Hope it clears all up soon!

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Most kids get it and don't even realize they've had it. Most likely you had it as a child and are now immune. If you get it, it will be a completely different thing, you will hurt so bad. I got it at age 31 and I felt paralyzed by pain, it was crazy. I actually went to a doctor thinking something was seriously wrong with me and was told "it's just a virus", well a little internet searching and I found that my dd's had fifth disease a few weeks earlier and I must never have had it as a child. By the way, if I'm not mistaken your ds is no longer contagious, once the rash appears the contagious part is over.

·
Banned
9,283 Posts
Yup!

It's about a "fifth" cousin to Measles.

That's what the doc told me back when my kids had it.

BTW---that's a very cute boy, you have!

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
my neice had it, the prescription is ice cream:icecream: and cartoons with mom.

works every time, especially if the time can be spent with dad as well.

dean

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
it went thru our school last year-just a few days-my dd's itched a little, but not too badly.

·
Premium Member
8,840 Posts
I've heard of it,but I kinda thought it was a more respectable name for alcoholics,those that a pint just don't carry them quite to the top, LOL. Seriously hope your son soon gets better. Eddie

·
Premium Member
21,578 Posts
Yup!

It's about a "fifth" cousin to Measles.

That's what the doc told me back when my kids had it.

BTW---that's a very cute boy, you have!
I don't believe it's related to measles. The term “fifth disease” refers to the fifth of the 6 rash-associated diseases of childhood.

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No, he doesn't feel too bad and his temp was only 98.4.. but if you touch the red parts of his face they burn your hand they are so hot.
The rash on his body isn't quite so dark and they say he will look like this for up to 3 weeks.
Poor little fella.. he's just thrilled to be home until Thursday.

·
Registered
333 Posts
We had it here last year.I had heard of it but never seen it.
Got called to school to pick up one kid and said to the nurse we should check the other too.Sure enough..rash on that one too. Maybe we should check their cousin too....rash! The one at home broke out the next day.
Only the youngest felt bad.The oldest was itchy, the middle..nothing but rash.
They went right back to school the next day, rash and all. It's like roseolla where the rash is the last part.No longer catchy when you get it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts