field issue help

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by KandCfamilyfarm, Dec 5, 2017.

1. KandCfamilyfarm

KandCfamilyfarm Well-Known Member

Spring city Tennessee Dayton mountain Zone 6
    Ok! I live in zone 6 and some of you may remember me asking what are some good things to plant in a field where you run pastured pigs. Well! I have been spreading seed and come across some issue the major one is field mise digging up and eating the seed. The other issue is birds doves in general but mostly the mise. We have four cats running around and I thought it would deal with the problem but it hasn't.

So my question is how would I build a large live trap for mice?

I won't use poison because of the possibility of the animals getting a hold of it. An I have tried the little metal live traps and they ether fill up too fast or the trap door gets stuck open. What we really need is a cold winter but it does not look like that is going to happen second winter in a row with no snow and freezing temperatures.

dsmythe likes this.
  2. KandCfamilyfarm

We also have large rats. bigger then my kittens some I think may be young possums but they're not. I think they are called norwegian rats. My niece came up from louisiana and she said they were nutria rats and they eat them down there which I just thought was nasty. Idk it's the mice that are the problem it's like a plague you find them all over the place.

3. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

You can't trap enough mice to keep them out of your fields, but do a Google search for "bucket traps" for mice and rats.

Nutrias can get about as big as a beaver and will only be found near water.

If Doves are eating your seeds it's not planted deep enough.

dsmythe and KandCfamilyfarm like this.
  4. KandCfamilyfarm

Ya we don't live near any creeks or rivers and I really didn't think thats what they were. I think they are just some really big rats that have taken full advantage of left over feed and chicken eggs. Will do with the bucket trap I was just talking to dad and he suggested the same thing.

dsmythe likes this.
  5. Oxankle

Oxankle Well-Known Member

K and C: I don't know what kind of animals you think might get into your mous and rat poison, but here is an idea. Most farm animals, even cats, do not like to go into holes. Mice and rats DO like concealment and cover.

Go to the big box lumber yard and buy some of the 4-inch corrugated drain pipe. Very inexpensive. Cut it into 4 foot sections, Bend it into a U, drop your poisoned bait into that U, then lay the pipe down and straighten it along a wall where mice and rats run. The varmints love the cover as they travel, will eat the bait, go looking for water and DIE OUTSIDE.

If they are eating your feed and eggs you have good places to put these bait stations.

KandCfamilyfarm likes this.
  6. KandCfamilyfarm

It's a great ideal but I have seen my hogs eat dead field rats and rabbits after we hit them with the bush hog.

7. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

D-Con uses Warfarin (Coumadin) as an active ingredient. It causes internal bleeding in the mice. They typically have to eat the bait several times over a few days to get a lethal dose.

The amount it takes to kill a mouse is far less than the dose that would be given to humans with heart problems, and would have no effect on larger animals at all.

https://www.drugs.com/coumadin.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warfarin

KandCfamilyfarm likes this.