Field Corn Seed

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by gilberte, Feb 16, 2005.

1. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

Looking for an internet source for a small amount of field corn seed. Don't have a local feed and seed store, most of what I've found online requires a large order.

2. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

3. AnnaS

AnnaS Well-Known Member

another place to try: www.rhshumway.com They have OP field corn starting at 1 lb, the only variety they have that might be OK in Maine is Silver King.

Flint/cap flints were the corn types grown in New England before hybrids. The Corn Belt field corn is dent corn; I don't know which one you're going for, but the flint is likely to produce better in your zone.

http://www.enscseeds.org/nativeseed/ has flint corns native to your area too, kinda pricey but most of their stuff is not available anywhere else.

Sand Hill has a lot of great stuff, not just corn.

If you're just doing a small amount, you do want a variety that originated in your climate and soil type. The difference is unreal. Last year I planted 4 varieties of corn. Had a cold wet spring and a couple of freezes. 3 of the 4 had less than 50% germination (untreated) and NONE of the plants silked out-or got past knee high- 2 widely adapted sweets and a newer short season, hardy flint. The 4th variety was a Native flint developed about 60 miles away. 98% germination (untreated in wet cold soil) and all plants produced seed. It was so uniform, grew so fast, it looked like a good hybrid.

<end of corn lecture> :eek:

4. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks for the responses. I'm just looking to plant a 40x60 plot to supplement the hog and chicken feed. That Silver King from Shumway may be just the ticket.