Field corn seed

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Q_Links, Jul 25, 2004.

1. Q_Links

Q_Links Well-Known Member

I got some field corn given to me and after cleaning it and putting it in the freezer, I have a bunch of ends that have kernels on them. My DH wants to save them for seed. Does anyone know what I need to do to them? Do I take them off the cob? How do I store them? Do I dry them first? Susan

2. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

They need to have dried on the cob by themselves before you picked them.

3. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Is the corn hybred field corn like farmers grow, or is it sweetcorn grown in a field. Either way it is very likely hybred, and the corn you raise from the seed won't be the same as the ears the seed came off of. Corn used for seed needs to mature and dry on the stalk. If you let the cobs dry like they are the end grains that are always smaller anyway will shrivel up and very likely never germinate next year.

4. anOldTroll

anOldTroll Well-Known Member

it all depends on what type of corn... if the kernals are fully matured, then when dried it will grow for you. We have volunteer corn all the time - we feed the chickens whole corn from what's spilled from my husbands fields. It does produce but most times not as good as what it came from...
    I wouldn't waste time personally, seed isn't that expensive and the time spent working with it to grow a good crop isn't worth the effort of saving the seed from the year before.
    If you want to save your own seeds, get an heirloom variety and it would be
    worth your time and give you the great feeling of being self reliant and a preservationalist...

good luck