field corn not growing ears!!!

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by r.h. in okla., Jul 11, 2005.

1. My fiel corn that was started from the seeds that Ken sent me are about 6 to 7 foot tall and are tassleing out but there are no ears on the stalks. Can anyone tell me why? I am thinking that maybe I just don't have enough nutritional fertilizer in the ground. I broke up new ground and didn't get a chance to add anything to the ground. I was kind of hoping that since there hadn't been a garden there in about 20 years then there should be plenty of nutrition for the corn to grow. I guess maybe I'm wrong.

2. Becky H.

Becky H. Well-Known Member

I thought that was from non pollination? Where are your bees? Has it not been windy for you? Try going over to the corn and bending them over next to each other getting their tassles to "mate." Get them all to mate or there will be no fruit. :happy:

I mean tops not tassles get the tops of the cornstalks to mate. :D

3. alabamared

alabamared Well-Known Member

Wait a couple more weeks.

4. Alabamared, I hope you are right. I'm thinking that on my sweet corn I see the ears starting to grow as soon as the tassles are forming on top. Right now some of them are tassleing out and there is no hint of a ear anywhere on the stalk.

Thanks for the replies. Maybe feild corn grows a little different then sweet corn. Right now I am harvesting sweet corn and filling my freezer and tummy full.

5. Well guess what? I went out to my field corn this morning and I have ears popping out everywhere! I don't think I was looking high enough. This is the first time I've grown any kind of a field corn is some 20 years. I grow sweet corn just about every year and I'm use to finding the ears at about waist to chest high. Well I found them at about eye level or just above. My stalks are now about 10 - 12 feet high. I guess you can't see them that high if you have your head hanging down low! :eek:

6. alabamared

alabamared Well-Known Member

I told ya to wait. Really glad ya got some roastin ears.
    Red