field corn-indian corn mix

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by South of Forty, Apr 3, 2004.

1. South of Forty

South of Forty Active Member

Hey. I want to grow some ornamental indian corn this year as well as some op field corn. If I plant the rows side by side will it ruing either? I dont care if there is some color in the field corn, but would like the indian corn to have its full array of colors.

2. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

Hmm, dont rightly know. Never have grown dent field corn and flint type Indian corn side by side. Do you know if they are going to pollinate at same time? If no overlapping pollination time wise then no problem. This works with my Indian corn I raise for cornmeal and my sweetcorn. Variety of sweetcorn I use pollinates way earlier. Might stagger planting times so they dont mix if pollination times would overlap otherwise.

3. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

corn is a queer plant in that its pollen effects this yrs crop and next yrs both it wont really hurt the indian corn that much , all corn is related to the same group of plant that are still growing wild in mexico today, if it were a herloom type i would be leary about planting it . try a screen of about 12 rows of sunflowers to help keep the pollen seperate .

4. pumpkinlady

pumpkinlady Well-Known Member

The corn will cross pollinate. You will still get colors in your ornamental corn but when it dries it could possibly dry like field corn and not stay full and shiny like ornamental corn should. What type of seed are you using? There is a difference between Indian corn and ornamental corn.

5. South of Forty

South of Forty Active Member

the Indian is called Wildas Pride from T Wiley and the field is Truckers Favorite White from Shumway seed.