Field Boarding Cattle

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Chuck, Nov 4, 2004.

1. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member Supporter

Does anyone do this? If so, what do you charge?

Thanks,

2. wr

wr Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Chuck, we do but I don't know if it will help you much because we're up in Canada. We charge are currently charging $25/unit/month but the price of hay dictates the worth of grass, that would probably balance off against good grass hay @ $65 - $75/ton. That covers grass & water only, if we provide the bull, it's $25/per cow and the owners are called once if they have a sick animal, if they chose to doctor and don't disturb my cattle, it's no big deal, if I have to - it costs $25/shot (that's what a vet tech is paid to administer). Because they are using my grass and my land, I want to know that their cattle are healthy, I don't require them to have a vet certificate because I only do it for a select few but they do have to prove receipts for 8 way vaccination and a parasite treatment, to protect my cattle. If you are considering something along this line, set it out in a contract that includes a clause on liability for animal mortality.

3. We charge $18 per pair and $15 for singles--yearling heifers or a bull. That is just for livestock on grass during the summer and fall. We've never had stock here over the winter when we had to feed them. I guess then you would have to figure out how much hay you are feeding per head per month plus your labor costs. This is in northern Montana.

4. KesWindhunter

KesWindhunter Well-Known Member

I charge $18.00 a pair, $14.00 for yearlings (they are .75 of an Animal Unit), and $25.00 for a bull (1.5 AU's). This is only for grazing, usually June 1 to Nov 1 in NE Wyoming. And the cows are 1100# to 1200# cows with March/April calves. More if the cow is bigger or the calf is older. I personally dont like yearling steers because they wear a trail around the perimeter fenceline and dont utilize the range as well as spayed heifers. Plus they seem to think the grass is greener on the other side of the fence...ahem!
    And I like an assortment of mixed aged cows because the older cows have a tendency to stay on the better grass and the younger cows get out and walk up and down the hills.

I have a neighbor (SE Montana) that runs cattle through the winter and his fees double for the winter months. But he supplies the hay and labor to feed those cows. Then he negotiates calving fees (heifers need more attention, old cows get checked once a day)

Also, I ALWAYS use a pasture lease agreement contract, no matter who I am dealing with...got burned too many times from 'friends'.

kestrel

5. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

Chuck, I would call your county extension agent and try to learn the going rates in your area.