Fiddlers

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Unregistered-1427815803, Jun 24, 2004.

1. We went over the mountain this past weekend, yet again, to the Maury River Fiddler's Convention. This is non-profit, just keeping bluegrass alive in the mountains of western Virginia.
    You'll see a father and son photo. The father won 3rd in the Dobro, and the son 1st in bass. Nobody knew this when the photograph was taken down in the camp, it was just about the father wanting a photo with himself and his son.
    Just wanted to share a little part of Virginia and a lot of musicians that weren't just from Virginia. They came from Vermont, TN, Maine, and more.
    You don't have to compete to camp on the Maury River during the festival. Music goes on into to dawn.
    http://www.sweeteherbefarm.com/2004mrfc/mrfc2004.htm

2. thomas49

thomas49 Member

The fiddler in the lime green shirt looks like my friend Rob Colter. I didnt make it to Muary River this year , we went up to Wayne Hendersons guitar comptetion in Grayson Highlands State Park. Doc Watson was the there Awesome! Tom

3. coalroadcabin

coalroadcabin Well-Known Member

4. lyteora

lyteora Well-Known Member

Unregistered, We went last year and had a ball, were you there for the band comp. What did you think of the Deer Creek Boys? My DH works with their Dad, They were great last year wish we could have been there this year. Maybe we'll get to see them later. There are some really great musicians from all age groups. Next year! Lyte

5. flutemandolin

flutemandolin mark an eight, dude!

Looks like a great time!

6. There were two guys in lime green. One was a lawyer from Amherst. I'll find out who the other one is. If you've got it figured out, let me know.
    The Deer Creek Boys placed first in the Blue Grass Band competition. I was only there Saturday, and when I was watching the stage it was mainly individuals competing.
    They've got the winners posted on their website. http://www.glenmaurypark.com/mrfc/winners.htm
    Between Joe D. and Joe Malloy and some of the others, I hope to have more musicians identified in the photos. I was working to get more of the 'real' behind the stage and in the camp with the photos. That's what keeps all this going.
    They are having the 4th Annual Nothin' Fancy Music Festival September 23-24. I've never been to that, but different ones I talked to in the camp said they liked it in ways more than this.
    Yes. It was really nice seeing all those age groups.
    You walk through the camp anytime you want, and if you hear some interesting jammin', you just plunk down and enjoy.

7. Hey Tom,
    A friend stopped by and we were looking at the fiddler pics. She said that was Rob Colter in the lime green t-shirt. There is a close-up of him towards the bottom of the thumbnails.