Fiber question

Discussion in 'Goats' started by naturewoman, Nov 24, 2006.

1. naturewoman

naturewoman Well-Known Member

Has anyone crossed a Nigerian Dwarf doe with another small fiber goat and gotten good fiber? I would like to try it someday, but don't know enough about crosses to know if I'd get fiber wool, or just more short slick hair (do you call it wool or hair on a goat?)..

2. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

OK, first of all wool would be from sheep. It is Fiber from goats. cashmere from of cource cashmere and Mohair from angora. If you want to cross a fiber goat with a non fiber goat, you will get some fiber off the babies, but it will not be any good, It would be good enought to play with and maybe felt with , but to spin, it would be too short. Any goat can grow cashemre, but in order for it to be concidered cashmere it has to be below 18.5 Microns. If you cross a cashmere goat and a other breed, it will not be below 18.5 microns, after about the first year of fiber if even that.
    I would never cross them myself. There is the Pygora goats, they are a angora and a pygmy goat. Althought it is very nice fiber it is not the quality of fiber that a cashmere's fiber is.

3. naturewoman

naturewoman Well-Known Member

Thanks sweet goats, that's what I needed to know. I don't want to breed more babies just to get more goats to feed that don't produce a usable product for me. I was hoping to get milk and fiber at the same time, but perhaps I should be purchasing a fiber doe and then go from there. My Nigerian doe will always be my baby, I just won't be breeding her.

:D