Fiber for internet :)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by painterswife, Feb 13, 2018 at 1:23 PM.

1. painterswife

painterswife Sock puppet reinstated Supporter

Looks like they are going to widen the highway this year. That means all the telephone lines have to be moved. The phone company is going to take the opportunity to put in fiber to all the home owners effected. We are a mile off the highway and over a river and we are still going to get fiber. This will be great for our internet speed.

vicki in NW OH, Wanda, RichNC and 4 others like this.
  2. PlayingInDirt

PlayingInDirt Well-Known Member

I'm practically salivating with jealousy.

I can't work from home since we can't get broadband.

Forcast likes this.

3. painterswife

I am very surprised. We did not even have phone service when we first built. It was couple of years before than happened.

Forcast likes this.
  4. PlayingInDirt

PlayingInDirt Well-Known Member

Hard to tell what the future will bring.

On one hand, I want to know who to bribe to hook us up to DSL (that won't cost $800/ month... that's out of budget).

On the other, I quite like living in the sticks and don't want a bunch of neighborhoods built up.

Hope you enjoy your fiber!! Just think... Netflix streaming... Pandora... oh the amenities.

Forcast and painterswife like this.
  5. Redlands Okie

Redlands Okie Well-Known Member

Grr, I am a mile and a half from the communications providers warehouse (that naturally has fiber) that sets next to a main fiber trunk line and there is little chance in the foreseeable feature of accessing it.
    Enjoy your good fortune

6. Nimrod

Nimrod Well-Known Member

You will love it. I got it years ago. Think it was Obama's stimulus package. Ten Mb up and down. No data caps. Through the local phone company. Had to have a landline. Pay $50 for internet and $15 for taxes and fees.

Streaming movies, you tubes, and the Super Bowl.

I think you have to have a fast enough computer too but not super fast. For comparison I have a dual core processor at 2.93 Ghz and 4 Gb of ram running Windows 7. It's at least 7 years old so probably outdated but it does everything I want to do.

7. painterswife

I am already at 10 mb with copper. That is my max with copper. I work on a fiber line at work Soo am use to the speed. Just want it here at home.

8. mmoetc

mmoetc Well-Known Member

Welcome to the 21st century.

9. melli

melli Otiose Endomorph

Yeah, I noticed a huge difference when they plopped in fiber here. Just for fun, did a speed test...17mbps download and 15 upload...I have the bare bones package. I think one can get better speeds with better packages.
    All I know, is I can stream movies with no stuttering...so much so, I gave up TV subscription.
    http://www.speedtest.net/

painterswife likes this.
  10. Micheal

Micheal Well-Known Member Supporter

Around here this past fall the local Telephone Co got a grant to install fiber. They are starting at their outer boundaries and working toward their main offices. I figure bout sometime next year -maybe - for me to get fiber......
    Small co, small work force, and that's the way it is........

11. Nevada

Nevada Voice of Reason Supporter

Our choice for my particular neighborhood is DSL over copper from the phone company, or cable from Cox. Both the phone co and Cox have fiber in some neighborhoods, but it hasn't reached me yet.

I've been getting more reliable service from the phone company, so I've been with them for a long time (8 years, I think). But the phone co has changed the pricing structure. Unless I'm willing to bundle additional services they are planning on overcharging me. My annual obligation with the phone company is up in a week or so, in fact it ends on the 22nd.

About 6 months ago I bought a ZTE Mobley device through AT&T's 4G LTE network, with a 2-year service agreement at $20/month for unlimited Internet. While it's designed to provide wifi in a car, it can also be accessed with a mini-USB cable. I bought a router that's said to go well with the Mobley device. I set it up yesterday and it seems to work great. It stayed connected all night last night, so I cut over this morning.

The Mobley can handle 47 Mb/s, but I'm only getting 15 Mb/s download and 6 Mb/s upload. That's about triple what I had from the phone company. The new router operates at 5GHz & 2.4GHz, and the 5GHz connection has a much better range. So far I'm really pleased with the setup.

painterswife likes this.
  12. MichaelZ

MichaelZ Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes, it is fast. DSL was fast enough for my work, but fiber makes netflix work right. I talked to the contractors that were putting it in. Cost was about $3,000,000 for about 300 homes according to the contractors. That makes $10,000 per home. I will thank my grandkids someday for it, Lord willing I have that chance.

melli likes this.
  13. mnn2501

mnn2501 Dallas

My doctor told me I needed more fiber, I wonder if this is what he meant?

14. Nevada

Nevada Voice of Reason Supporter

I don't know that the future for "last mile" Internet connections will be in fiber optic cable. Fiber will always have a place connecting from city to city, but cell networks are poised to command residential Internet service. They already have 4G LTE, and 5G is on the horizon. It could get cheap enough for cell providers to take over the Internet business.