Fiber demonstrations at Ozark get together

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by BeesNBunnies, Aug 19, 2005.

1. BeesNBunnies

BeesNBunnies Schnauzer nut

Thought I'd start a new thread since the main one is soooo long. I've offered to do fiber arts demonstrations at the upcoming camp out/get together. What I need is to know how many people are interested and what they are interested in. Several people have already expressed a desire to learn rug hooking. Here are the options: Rug hooking....old fashioned kind that uses strips of wool or wool yarn....this is nothing like latch hooking. Spinning....using a spinning wheel or supported spindle. Drum carding....it is a hand operated machine used to prepare fiber for spinning. Triangle loom weaving.....this creates a lovely shawl....there is no warping as it creates it's own warp and weft as you go. Knitting....this isn't my specialty but I could teach you the basics. Crochet.

I do other fiber/sewing related crafts and if you have a desire to learn something I haven't listed let me know. The meeting is a bit less than a month away so I'll need to know how many in order to gather the needed supplies. Amanda

2. LittleJohn

LittleJohn Well-Known Member

Would love to learn how to take hemp from stalk to cloth ;)

3. BeesNBunnies

Uh.....uh.....uh....so would I! :D I can tell this is gonna be tough....a stumper right out of the gate. I'll see what I can find on it. Don't suppose you have some we could use do you? It may end up being processed similarly to flax.

4. LittleJohn

LittleJohn Well-Known Member

Fraid not I rather prefer staying on the outside of cages.

5. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member Supporter

LittleJohn ,fiber hemp is a different variety that the "other" kind! BeesandBunnies, where can I find the thread or information about the "get-together?" Having just moved to that area (where the others were held) I sure would like to know time, date, and place. Thanks. Edited - Never mind - found it!

6. BeesNBunnies

Glad you found the thread Goatlady. If you are wanting to learn fiber type stuff I really need ya'll to let me know. Before our last move(at hubbies insistence) I pared down really severely on my fiber related stuff so I may have to replace some of it depending on who wants to learn what. So I will need a bit of time to get it together. Only 25 more days to go!

7. BeesNBunnies

Just a little bump to get this back where folks can see it. Only 20 more days!

8. MTNwomanAR

MTNwomanAR Well-Known Member

Color me interested...not sure which I would like to try, have tried spinning, not too good at it....but am still willing to try, if someone is willing to try to teach!!! :buds:

9. decamper

decamper Well-Known Member

Where can I find info on this event? :shrug:

10. MarleneS

MarleneS Well-Known Member

decamper - All the info is in the "Would You Like to Meet in Person?" thread -- it's The 3rd Annual Buffalo River Homesteaders Get Together, September the 16th - 18th -- on the Buffalo River at Tyler Bend campgrounds, near St. Joe Arkansas.

Amanda - put me down for spinning, and the hook rug demo. If I can find some wool - how wild do you want the strips - and should I sew'em together and roll them into balls?

Hope to see you there,
    Marlene

11. BeesNBunnies

Marlene that's one of the good things about rug hooking.....no need to sew strips together or roll them into a ball. You can use short or long lengths. Lots of people don't even cut their strips...they tear them....which gives a different effect from cutting. There are endless variations including shade dying to give your creation added depth. Bring whatever colors you have. I'll be bringing odd pieces of homespun yarn in addition to wool cloth. They wouldn't have been odd pieces if my puppy hadn't spent a satisfying morning dragging every bit I have up under the bed and making it look like a demented spiders nest under there! I salvaged quite a bit of it and it'll work fine. Hmmmmm anybody have any latch hooking material(with rug hooking we will be using monk's cloth or burlap)? The net like stiff fabric? I think I recall a really cool way to make rugs by crocheting wool yarn onto that.

Hehe I get to teach LaDonna how to spin. How cool is this gonna be?!

12. Linda H

Linda H Missouri Ozarks

Count me in for the hooked rug class. Can you give us a list of supplies (besides wool fabric) that we need to make a small project of our own?

Also what time of day will you be doing that lesson?

Thanks

13. BeesNBunnies

Hi Linda, unless the get together has greatly changed I doubt there will be a scheduled time. It's pretty informal. I plan on getting there as early as I can on Friday and staying all weekend. If you have some bring old wool clothes(at least 80% wool but 100% is better). If you don't have any don't worry about it. I'll bring enough material for those interested to complete a small project.

14. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

I am getting so excited! I can get another spinning lesson! Yea!
    You will find that Sheila and I have been the only ones trying to teach spinning and we are both beginners ourselves. Sheila wont be there this time and I am so glad that someone else is going to be there that knows how to spin. I have hand carders and all the alpaca fleece anyone could want to spin.
    It's dirty. Never been washed. Just taken off of the alpacas.I would love to have it carded with a drum carder. I will bring fleece to share.
    I also bought a used table top loom that I don't know anything about so I am bringing that in the hope that someone will be there to show me how to use it. I have a lot of spun fleece but I doubt it is any good as the moths get into it so bad. I want to learn anything new that anyone is teaching.
    I can make my own soap now. Both laundry and bar soap but I don't make anything fancy. I can imbroider and crochet.
    You are right about it being informal. We just play it by ear.

15. Linda H

Linda H Missouri Ozarks

Corky,

I've not used the table loom, but have used a floor loom which is basically a bigger version. I'll bring my warping stuff and maybe we can get you going.

I also have a childs heddle loom for everyone to practice on.

Linda

16. BeesNBunnies

Hey Corky get that fleece good and cleaned up and we'll run it through my drum carder. I love alpaca! Ever spun alpaca with a supported spindle? Wish I had some cotton so I could demonstrate that....it is sooo much fun to spin. Guess I need to place an order for some. How long have you been spinning? I've been spinning for about 6-7 yrs now(I think...lol). Linda bring your wheel too....I want to see how you are doing with it. Good grief....I may have to come down in my RV instead of the pop up camper just so I can transport all my stuff...lol.

17. MTNwomanAR

Amanda, I can SO understand what you are saying about the rv....me, I don't drive the old subaru, I bought an 02 Forester, which has a luggage rack on it, and it takes ALL of my packing skills to get mine and Marlenes' stuff in there, plus leave some room for our mascot, Phoenix....I travel with the martha stewart of the BR.....real tablecloths, silver ware, and TWO kinds of flour.... :dance: Right Marlene??? Ya know I love ya!!! :rock:

18. MarleneS

MarleneS Well-Known Member

What's a BR? -- Ladonna -- reading this thread I've been trying to figure out how we can get Shelia and Big Joe's friend Jodi and her loom to the get together -- I just can't seem to be able to figure out how to get that in the Subu or on top :(

Marlene

19. MTNwomanAR

B-uffalo R-iver.... :sing: IE, where we have the get togethers....the martha stewart of the buffalo river............ :nana: