FF Labor Trouble

Discussion in 'Goats' started by MillsFarmFamily, Jan 2, 2007.

1. MillsFarmFamily

MillsFarmFamily Well-Known Member

We have a lareg boar first freshner that has been in labor for 1 hour that we know of. Acording to fiasco farm web site you should help out after 1 hr of labor. My teen daughter (slonger slender hands) tried to feel for the baby, but couldn't tell what she was looking for (neither would I). Was going to try again, but cervic is so tight, couldn't even get 3 fingers to go in. Should we wait longer? Doe is squatting and pushing, but nothing. a couple of times some clear fluid came out.

2. mamahen

mamahen Well-Known Member Supporter

Does she only push when you're "feeling"? Or is she pushing with regular contractions? I also give about an hour of pushing time. If no results, I do a quick check. They will automatically push, when you enter the birth canal.

If your daughter can't feel anything because of the closed cervix, she may be having problems.

Can you call a local (or even long distance) vet & explain the problem. They may help over the phone (mine does) with out a farm visit.

I know this isn't much help. Sorry....

To know what you're feeling for: Close you eyes & picture a baby goat, feet first, head first or what ever. You're trying to envision what "goat part" you're feeling. Hoof, head, side. Even front hoof, or rear hoof.

3. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

labor inwolves different stages and takes longer than an hour.
    it takes some time to open the cervix .
    active labor as in pushing should not be longer than an hour.
    is she pushing?

4. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

How are ou doing now? Any progress?

5. MillsFarmFamily

She's still pushing - what I'm calling pushing is that she squats like she's going to pee, and looks like she's trying to push.

6. mamahen

mamahen Well-Known Member Supporter

Hmm, I have pygmies, but when they were in heavy, heavy labor, they screamed!! I mean bloody murder! Is she screaming? Maybe she's not completely ready yet?

Also her ears, when pushing, looked like Nubian ears!! They completely flopped down, poor girls. I know boer's have different type of ears.

How's she doing now? I'd sit back & see how she was pushing. Hard & fast or just sort of half-heartily. Watch her for a few minutes. Any other signs, panting, screaming, mucous? Of course not every doe is the same.

good luck

7. Sweet Goats

OK, I have never had but one doe scream while in Labor, so don't let that throw you.
    Can you see a bubble coming out? Is she (her vulva) open?
    IF you need to go into her, you need to make she you have well scrubbed hands, no rings and no fingernails. Also you will need to put some lube on your hand and are. I was so scared the first time I had to do in, but it is ok. Now It doesn't matter if you have big hands or not, (remember most vets are male and their hands are large)
    if you go inyou should feel ither a nose of hoofs. Or all. If the baby is too big to come out without help, remember you should pull slowely WITH the contraction, and pull more in a down motion, like you are putting a small curve to her butt. If possible not straight out, it have cause damage.

8. Sweet Goats

How are things going?

9. MillsFarmFamily

ok, went out at 3 and had a foot sticking out then about 5 minutes later another foot. Didn't look like they were going anywhere, so DH reached in and "helped" guide and pull the head. Delivered afterbirth, then another baby popped right out without a problem. Both are does. She has cleaned them up and seems to be doing great with them, but a little over an hour later and we still can't even make them nurse.

10. chma4

chma4 Wolverton Family Farm Supporter

you have to get them nursing. Bend under the front legs, put there heads in the general vicinity and tickle there butts right above the tail. It should get them to start butting at the udder and nursing. If 12 hours goes and they have not nursed, you MUST milk her and get her colostrum. Then bottle feed. If they areunable, or unwilling, you may need to tube. Most important right now is to keep them WARM. Dont make them waste what energy they do have on keeping them selves warm. You may need to consult a mentor, maybe a local goat person whos been down this road a few times
    GOOD LUCK

11. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

congratulation, how nice to get two doe kids :)

12. Sweet Goats

I am glad to hear that things went ok with the delivery.
    Is the baby nursing yet? Sometimes it takes you not giving up at all. I have had to work the baby for hours to get them to nurse. I take the baby, get then on their front knees and get the mouth open and put it around the teat, getting some milk in it at the same time.