Feta cheese help

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Lizza, Jan 12, 2007.

1. Lizza

Lizza Well-Known Member Supporter

Hello All,

I made a batch of Feta Cheese from the recipe at Fiasco. It's been a few months and I've tried it a few times but it basically tastes like a really salty old buck and not something I want to eat.

Did I do something wrong? I must have.

I want to try again but I am hoping someone can tell me what I did wrong. I saved my milk up for a week (I think!) so that I had 3 gallons. I'll be milking more goats this spring so I'll have more milk per day. Should I use fresher milk? I only used the Fiasco site and plan on getting "goats produce too" and possibly the video tape about how to make cheese that Hoeggers is selling.

Any tips would be great!

2. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

What recipe are you using? I make feta all the time and I can't keep my DH from eating it all as soon as it's ready.

Ruth

3. suzyhomemaker09

suzyhomemaker09 Well-Known Member

It's very possible that if you saved milk for a week that it had already started getting "goaty"...cheese should always be made with the freshest milk possible.Wait til you have more milk coming in to try again...hopefully it will come out better for you.

4. hippiehill

hippiehill Active Member

I have also found that saving milk will make cheese stronger tasting. Anyway you can make a smaller batch with fresher milk?

5. Lizza

Lizza Well-Known Member Supporter

I used the exact recipe for Feta at the Fiasco site.

I will try with fresher milk, I thought maybe that was the problem. Thanks!