Fertilizing pasture

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Joey Wahoo, Jun 21, 2006.

1. Joey Wahoo

Joey Wahoo Well-Known Member

I have about 6 acres of pasture that I need to fertilize. The manure from the animals on it now is insufficient, and I'd prefer to stay organic.

Would love to hear how y'all do it. If you use manure from others, how do you find it/spread it? When is the best time to put it down?

thanks in advance

2. Tabitha

Tabitha greenheart

dear Joey,
    I don't know much about pastures either, but I remember that Countryside magazine has had a few articles by them that are doing and are knowledgable on how to improve pastures. I have to dig through my back issues myself.

3. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

cow manure is very good, but it is full of weed seeds. Pig manure is better yet if you can stand the smell

4. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

It would be good to spread it late in the fall, and not too thick. This will give it time to disintergrate enough that the stock can stand to eat where it was spread next spring.

5. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Spreading fresh manure from another person's herd on to your herd's pasture is a great way of spreading disease. Make sure the manure is well composted first.

6. Laura

Laura Well-Known Member

Beside running cattle on it, the only other ammendment added to pasture and hay fields here in the west, is lime at a rate of one ton per acre.

7. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Soil test would do you good.

Many areas need lime added, if the ph is too low no amount of fertilizer is going to do much good. Know your ph first of all.

Some legumes (alfalfa, clover, bird's-foot-trefoil, etc.) planted into it would bring up the N value over time. Need to manage your grazing to keep them healthy & let the roots go deep.

Then you only need to watch the P & K.

I would not add fresh manure from others. Weeds, and worse yet their pathogens. Put on a pile for a year to composte it if you need to go this route. Commercial fertilizer would be a _much_ better idea than bringing in other's problems to your herd.....

--->Paul

8. myheaven

myheaven Well-Known Member Supporter

soil test. first then come back and ask what you need. and i agree no adding other peoples manure to your feild.

9. Esteban29304

Esteban29304 Well-Known Member

I agree, soil testthe ph & see if lime is needed. Also, you didn't mention how many head you keep on 6 acres. If too many, you may have to resort to a high nitrogen fertilizer, every so often.