Fertilizing Oaks, Maples, ect...

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Randy Dandy, Oct 24, 2004.

1. Randy Dandy

Randy Dandy Well-Known Member

I was wondeing if someone could suggest the best way to fertilize some aprox. 30 to 50 year old Oak, Maple, ect... Would you incorperate in the surrounding ground with granual, or use some kind of fertilizer spikes ? I was also thinking of doing some pruning to these trees either this fall, or the next, if thats any additional concern. Thanks, Randy

2. CoonXpress

CoonXpress Well-Known Member

3. treeguy

treeguy Active Member

ok, not sure if you have 30 to 50 trees that are 1 year old.anyway, granular is best. spread it evenly around the tree according to label directions. around the drip line and a little beyond. not near the trunckas there aren't many fine feeder roots there. a balanced fert is best, like 10-10-10. oct nov is the best time to fert trees lawns and shrubs. tree spikes tend to burn the roots that are near the spike and most of the fert isn't used by the tree as it gets carried to deep and ends up in our ground water. most of tghe feeder roots of plants are close to the surface. pruning...maples are bleeders which means that any damage to them will cause the sap to flow from the wound in the spring, so don't prune them to close to the spring. Thats why we get maple syrup from them in jan- feb-march. Other trees which bleed are birches,and sweetgums.

4. Randy Dandy

Randy Dandy Well-Known Member

There is several trees. I'm not sure how many exactly. But the most of them are aprox. 30 to 50 years old. Thank you both very much for your help. Randy