Homesteading Forum banner

Fertilizer

959 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  rambler 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Remember that the numbers of the analysis are percentages. So for one you're getting 8 percent of 32 oz, or 2.6 oz of fertilizer, on the other you're getting 11 percent of nutrients per 32 oz, or 3.5 oz.

Then you further dilute that down with more water and use it every three weeks. Maybe Pierrot would be cheaper? Granted, it's organic, OMRI listed, but…...

Actually, compost has about the same percentages--or manures for that matter. And Miracle Grow

geo

#4 ·
The current problem is a new-to-me nutrient depleted garden space of about 720 square feet. The beds are part 15 year old potting soil and native alkaline soil.

I have two compost beds working, but that is the long term solution. I have been amending with store bought compost. The last bed got worm castings, too.

#6 ·
Goats that are from my breeding line are next door. Two does and one doeling only produce so much poo. I go over there with my scooper and rake every now and then.

Our rabbit tractor yields a quart or so of bunny poo every few days.

This is a work in progress, and another lesson in patience.

#9 ·
A> native alkaline soil

Ouch. Most of my farm is the same. It’s rich ground, but it has lots of issues. Manure is great, but alkaline soil can go the wrong way with too much, as it is a rich but troubled soil.

mine is high ph, some goes up to ph 8, 8.2. Real high CEC, which is a measure of how tiny the clay and organic particles are. The organic matter on mine goes past 9% in spots, which is high.

all of these features make it difficult to change the soil. It likes to lock up k, so adding a little it ends up just binding to the soil. Adding a lot, it needs a terrible $$$ lot because of the high CEC - sandy soils you can change with $50 of stuff, this heavy ground would need $400 of stuff per acre....

low ph you can change with lime. High ph is very difficult to change, lots of sulphur can do some. But again, the heavy CEC soil acts like a sponge and absorbs a lot without changing much. Really can’t afford to lower it......

and so on. Some alkaline is salty, then manure makes that issue worse. Mine is not salty.

legumes like soybeans and related beans often don’t like this soil, they can’t grab iron out of the alkaline so they just stunt and turn brown. Theiron is in the ground but many strains of beans can’t pry it away from the high ph alkaline.

on the other hand, it’s a deep rich soil, corn loves it. Holds lots of nutrients and water.

obviously, I’m more of a farmer, and I’m not even organic, but the same issues and fixes are important, just what ever materials you choose to work with your soil.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.