Fern experts?

Discussion in 'Plant and Tree Identification' started by Nancy_in_GA, Jul 11, 2006.

1. Nancy_in_GA

Nancy_in_GA Well-Known Member

Hi, it's me again (the Empress Tree person). I thought I'd try asking about this fern-type plant I've been trying to ID for a long time. It grows in full shade, dry, poor soil, very low to the ground, 2 or 3 inches high, stays green all winter.

Distance shot (spreads out in patches):

http://home.earthlink.net/~nlyons545/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/fern1.jpg

Close-up with a blossom(?) (look in the left center of the picture):

http://home.earthlink.net/~nlyons545/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/fern2.jpg

Maybe it isn't technically a fern, and that's why I've had so much trouble identifying it.

Nancy

2. Nancy_in_GA

3. blue gecko

blue gecko Well-Known Member

Glad I could help! B

4. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

i have been wondering about this stuff for a long time. i am glad someone posted this. we always called it windy pine (wine-di... as in it winds around stuff). some folks like to make wreaths from it.

5. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

In days gone by, medicine men from various tribes would collect the pollen from them and kep it in a pouch and when they wanted to impress someone they would dance around a fire and take a pinch of pollen out and throw it in the fire and WHOOSH, the fire would explode like you threw gas into it, up in the air.

6. Wildcrofthollow

Wildcrofthollow Well-Known Member

To tag along on woodspirit's bit of info...

They used to make flash powder for cameras out of the pollen from the stuff. There is a moratorium in VA on picking it, it takes nearly thirty years to germinate and grows mostly by vegetative reproduction. If you find it in the woods look around, even if it covers acres, it is all probably the same plant.

7. tillandsia

tillandsia Well-Known Member

Lycopodiums (like ferns) do not produce flowers, therefore they do not have pollen. They reproduce by spores (like ferns). It is true that the spores were used as flash powder. Woodspirit, your description of the medicine men was really interesting!

8. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

If you pick one of the clubs and put a lighter to it the flame will dance a bit too!

9. Nancy_in_GA

Just checked in to let you know I've been reading all your comments and appreciate the information. I'm going to try burning the clubs/spores in the fall.

Nancy

10. blue gecko

If I remember correctly this plant grew to amazing heights in prehistoric times in much the same way that horsetail did.
    I never thought about it having turpines in it. Might make a good survival fire starting material. B

11. tillandsia

tillandsia Well-Known Member

12. blue gecko

WOW that's quite a demo!