feretts?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by countrygirl26, Apr 30, 2004.

1. countrygirl26

countrygirl26 Active Member

I am wanting to purchase a ferett for a pet but I hate paying the pet store prices of 130.00. Any suggestions? I know the extreme mark up of pet stores. We used to sell rabbits, mice, and hamsters to them. They only pay 6-8.00 per rabbit and sell them for 45.oo here in our town, 25 cent per mouse 3.99 cent at the store and hamsters 5o cent each and they sell them for 8-9.00 each. Those prices are crazy. You can go to our local feed store and get rabbits for 8-10.00 each or buy from sellers even cheaper.

2. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) Here ya go!!! Ferret Rescue!

http://www.thepetproject.com/ptff.html

There are so many of these little guys who need a home. Well meaning people think they want one or two...and then they find out they are not for them. Do study the species first, get on a ferret forum and learn what they are all about so you will be prepared.

They are very interesting little creatures aren't they? LQ

3. Dawndra

Dawndra I'm back

you HAVE to spay & /or neuter them if you're not going to breed them. They'll get too many hormones built up in their little bodies & die if you dont'...

They're wonderful pets! I've had 4. Loved them to pieces!

4. gspig

gspig Well-Known Member

I had 2 ferrets. You should really research before getting them. A lot of people and sites show cuddly lethargic lap animals; mine weren't. They are great little tightly wound up springs. They are happiest in at least pairs. I don't think it would be likely that you would find any not already spayed or neutered. They are musk animals and will always have a smell. If you keep them and their cage clean, it won't be overpowering.

5. Dawndra

Dawndra I'm back

we called ours "carpet sharks" nothing on the floor was safe... I gave them the bottom drawer of the dresser... they had their stuffed animals that they would take in there....

6. gspig

gspig Well-Known Member

My male didn't hord, but my female did. She liked whiffle golf balls. They also liked to burrow: in my couch, in my mattress, they also had the bottom drawer of my dresser. I almost forgot, my male had a beanie baby lion. If he saw it out, he would put it back in the dresser drawer.

7. Dawndra

Dawndra I'm back

exactly... you would be sitting on the couch & feel bumps onyour butt... itwould be a ferret... ours had little stuffed toys of the girls... we would take them out, scatter them through the house & let the boys loose.. too much fun!

once, I saw a huge bear bouncing across the floor all by itself... it was way bigger than the ferret... but he was lugging the thing to his drawer anyway...

i miss the boys... they both got cancer... that happens to ferrets when they get older.. *sigh*

8. countrygirl26

I have had a ferrett before and I loved bandit . He was extremely high strung, but he loved to climb on our coucha nd lay in the window where the sun hit him. I never understood it. I got him for free out of the newspaper someone wanted to get rid of him, because they were moving.
    I went on vacation and a friend came to my house to care for him. While I was gone bandit somehow got his leg cought in the curtain behind the table his cage was on. He twisted his leg in it and he was injured so I took him to the vet and his leg was broken so I had to have him put to sleep. That was 4 years ago.
    He was a great pet and I would take him to work with me and camping, etc. I would just like to have another one now that my son is old enough not to hurt it.

9. Dixie912

Dixie912 Well-Known Member

They are great pets and hilarious to watch, but I don't think people realize how much care is involved, and then they discard them. We clean the cage every day and there is still an odor. If you can handle that, then go for it. They are great pets and deserve a good home. Please check out a ferret rescue. There are too many out there abandoned.

10. countrygirl26

Thank you for the wqeb site . I looked it up and emailed her. Thanks....

11. Ferrets are wonderful little animals. I have had six of the little monsters over the years and each one had its own unique personality. They do require a considerable amount of care and they have a unique odor but it is nothing worse (just different) than a dog. Great little animals that will keep you entertained for hours on end. Two ferrets and a length of pipe and you have a home circus. They are a little nippy, but that is the way ferrets communicate with each other. Please try and contact a local rescue. They (unfortunately) will probably have plenty of potential adoptees.

12. RANDEL

RANDEL Well-Known Member

my ferrets would always got VERY excited after their bath. then they'd leap about and frolic joyfully. they really are charming pets. the smell can be a bit much, but cleanliness helps a lot. we kept ours in cages on a covered porch and brought them inside daily when we could keep an eye on 'em. if the female is not spayed she must breed, just like dawndra said. and if they have the run of the house, make certain there are NO small holes (like around plumbing etc.) or the WILL find their way out. and they don't come back.