Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the ripe age of 58 I have had my first parking lot fender bender, DH has never had one either so I had a few questions for anyone with experience - or who just knows about stuff like this.

I was inching, literally INCHING, DH's Tacoma out of a tight parking space ( his eyes were dilated, I rarely drive his truck) when I felt myself bump the vehicle behind me. We looked and saw no damage, but DH went and found the owner, she found a rub mark but said not to worry about it. We exchanged info just because.

Now she calls 2 weeks later and tells us her bumper has been dented and pushed out of place, she has a $926 estimate from a body shop. If we did this we will own it, but my questions....

Is there a way to tell we actually caused this? We saw no damage then or now (looked at the vehicle, a 2006 F150, again this morning) but she does have a body shop estimate to replace the bumper....but the dent was 'polished out' and we just don't see what she's talking about.

The truck is a 2006, if we must buy her a brand new bumper can we keep the old one? DH says if we're buying her a new bumper then he wants the old one - is that done?

Anyway, it's a minor trauma and we'll work it out, I just can't get past the feeling we're being taken to the cleaners. Anyway, any words of wisdom are welcome.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
That's a tough one. Most answers you get will be YouShouldas. Probably the best bet is to get a couple more quotes from other shops. Be sure to have the estimates itemized. Then pay it out of pocket, but only by paying the body shop directly, not the owner. Yes, ask for the old parts back. No insurance. Seth

Edit to add: If the original quote is a little higher than the rest, it could be because they do better work. If it's way higher I'd gauge the situation, you might be getting hosed. If the owner demands payment directly they are probably going to pocket the money.

·
Registered
9,575 Posts
When living in Boston, I had someone make a claim against me for damage I did to their car with my door in the parking lot of Star Market in Brookline. I had never been in that parking lot in my life, and told my agent as much. I didn't like it and said, no way was I taking responsibility for it. She said it happens all the time and that they would just pay it, and, finally, that is what they did.
I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. The insurance companies are probably all in cahoots together and both agents are making money. It's above my head. :D

·
Premium Member
25,233 Posts
That's a toughie. She waits 2 weeks? Really? If there were damages she should have made a claim right away. I can see 2 options, let the insurance companies fight it out where you'll probably end up having to pay anyway or pay it yourself out of pocket without going through insurance. If you pay yourselves, have them sign an agreement that the payment is in full.

Of course, it's been nearly a month since dh was the victim of a hit and run and we haven't got hold of the police dept to see if they found the car. But they told us they would contact us. Yeah, right.

Next time, pictures.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The shouldas always get you.

My daughter was driving my car, my insurance. Had the baby with her, and panicked worried about that.

She and another car were both backing out of opposing parking places at
Walmart. Equal blame, equal small dents.
But did she take PICS?? Aw heck no. Arrrgggghhh.
My car was newer, silver, small dent could probably be pulled out. Other guy was driving his Granma's older. green. caddy. that had several older dents. Report stated that it was pretty much a wash on blame and damage, especially after deductibles. And seriously? WHO is going to fix ONE fender on that mess and expect it to match. Not paying for the whole danged car. And he's lucky I wasn't the one there.
I gave her a lecture. If baby is fine, gather your brain cells and do what needs done. Pics. Video on Phone. Something.
Then I got a pic of our dent, emailed it to my insurance, and followed up with a call. Asked them to please not let the other driver by with this silliness. We weren't even going to have mine fixed by a shop.
They gave me a call back later and said it was no harm, no foul, no problem.
Lesson learned. I hope.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
This happened to me. Girls tail light was busted. I gave my insurance a statement of what happened. I didn't pay a darn thing. And my car wasn't damaged.

·
Premium Member
3,323 Posts
I wouldn't pay them, they agreed there was no damage at the scene.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
There is no proof that you were the one that did the damage. It could have happened at any time either B4 or after you hit her car. Someone else may have hit her afterwards and not said anything. But, since she has your info, you're the one she's coming after. There is also no police report, so basically it comes down to her word against yours.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
When you both looked for damage and decided that there wasn't any to speak of - you should have just left the scene - I would not have given any info to the person - don't pay and don't let your insurance even know about it - the only recourse the other person has is to go to small claims court and most likely she won't do that - and if she does then you can tell the magistrate that there was only a little scuff mark on the bumper and putting a whole new bumper on her vehicle was a joke -

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I learned to take pics (and LOTS of them) the hard way. Pretty much the same story as you. My DD was driving my car. Slight bumper tap in parking lot. Not a scratch on my car and DD said same with hers. Yet 2-3 weeks later is a claim for serious damage. Our Insurance agent looked at my car and decided that if it had caused as much damage as claimant said I would have something to show for it. I am not sure what you can do if you have *some* damage to your bumper. I guess it could go either way in a court.

Mary

·
Premium Member
4,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info and stories, no damage - not even a scuff mark- on our bumper. We do have a $500 deductible, so if she gets more estimates and they're in the same range we'll probably just hand it over to insurance. It's DH's truck though, and he's handling everything so he'll get final say. He's a good decent guy (truthfully, once I saw there was no damage I was all for just going on our way. He insisted on finding her and giving her our info), but even he is getting aggravated by all this.

It's just a pia for no discernible reason I can see.....but I drive a 17 yr old Rav 4 with multiple scuffs and dings, so my standards regarding vehicles is not very high obviously.

Reactions: vicker
1 - 12 of 12 Posts