fencing???

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Hillbilly Don, Jan 1, 2005.

1. Hillbilly Don

Hillbilly Don Active Member

I want to build a loafing/barnyard area in back of my small barn to keep my couple goats in for the day if they are sick/whatever. I have a couple acres of pasture to keep them in most of the time,but need to know what kind of fencing to use in the loafing/barnyard area? Hope I am clear and I need some help!! Don :confused:

2. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

I strongly suggest cattle panels, the ones with smaller openings at the bottom (they're called combo panels here). You will probably want to put a post in the middle as well as at each end of each panel. My small Kinder goats stand up on the fence, and I'm going to have to add an extra post in the middle of each panel when the ground thaws, as they are pushing one panel in particular to where it's laying down a little bit. But other than that, the panels are great. I cut one section out where I put the water buckets (on the outside of the pen, so they can't poop in them), because they couldn't get their heads through the small openings at the bottom of the combo panels -- my two seven-month-old does can still squeeze through those holes, and do, if I let the water in the buckets get too low. They won't go through if there's water in the buckets, though. Depending on what kind of goat you have, and whether or not they are jumpers, you may need to put a hot wire around the top. I don't have any problem with my little goats jumping that high, though.

Kathleen

3. okgoatgal2

okgoatgal2 Well-Known Member

i was thinking cattle or combo panels, too. fast, easy to move, and for a small pen, not too pricey. definitely put a post in the middle of the panel, on the outside, to prevent them from pushing on it.