fencing

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by djuhnke, Nov 15, 2004.

1. djuhnke

djuhnke Well-Known Member

I am getting some pigs in spring and wanted to pasture them with sheep & dexter cow. It seems that the pigs are the hardest to keep contained. What fencing would you recommend that would hold all three animal types? I was thinking woven wire. Any thoughts?

Dan

2. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

cattle panels clipped to T-posts

3. highlands

highlands Walter Jeffries Staff Member Supporter

Train them to electric fencing for a few weeks in a physically strongly fenced pen. Then they should be fine on electric in the pasture. We use electric fencing to keep in our pigs who graze with our sheep and other animals. One hot line at low nose level and one at high nose level is very effective.

Make sure the fence does not go off though as they are good at detecting that - they may feel it on their bristles and hear the stopping of the clicks.

As long as their is enough to eat and drink in the pasture we don't have a problem. We also do have stone walls around most of the pastures and we have LGDs.

-Walter
    Sugar Mtn Farm
    in Vermont

4. nothexpert

nothexpert Guest

make sure if you do have electric wire that your bottom wire isnt low enough that if they root around it, it wont get covered w/dirt and short out.

5. stellie

stellie Well-Known Member

If you're raising your sheep for lambs (or your cows, for that matter) you don't want the hogs in the same fence -- they will kill and eat your newborn lambs.

That said, we use woven wire on some parts, some bits are hog panels, and electric fence on the others -- anywhere that the hogs try to get out, we reinforce with a strand of electric fence at the bottom of the woven wire. Because they will dig around and push the woven wire fence out from the bottom.

There is a lot of space for them to roam, though, so we really don't have many problems with them trying to get out -- the love to romp around in the pasture when they're grazing!

6. Horace Baker

Horace Baker Well-Known Member

I tried pasturing pigs, briefly. The huge amount of damage they can cause to a pasture in a short amount of time is astonishing. I have Tamworth, maybe it's different for other breeds.