fencing

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by pcdreams, Aug 1, 2004.

1. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

Is worm rail fencing (zigzag made with logs) practical for keeping livestock in? or is it just for show?

2. Jolly

Jolly Well-Known Member

I've used both split rail, and cypress peeled-pole fencing.

Fellow down the road got a heckuva deal on a bunch of landscape timbers, and he made a stacked fence with that.

You build it right, and cows or horses are no problem. Never had experience with anything else, although others might have...

3. Rick

Rick Well-Known Member Supporter

I too, am interested in fencing. We need to keep the cattle OUT. We are surrounded by 4 cattle farms, and they take turns mowing our fields, while we are away. That part is OK, but they detroy things (like compost bins) in their pursuit for the finest grasses.

I am looking for the cheapest fencing to install. would this be barbed wire? We are thinking of using a combination barbd wire/ solar powered (with battery) electric fence.

4. Rick

Does anyone have a link to a picture of a worm rail fence ?

5. Well, now. The cheapest fencing is a single strand of electric barbed. However, this will _not_ restrain wandering, excited, lost cattle. They will plow right through it.

High-tensil fencing is the cheapest per mile. Doesn't use many posts, the wire & corner posts cost a lot more, but the overall cost is much lower than most anything else. You can electrify 1, or several, wires. You can put on just 1 or 2, or 5 or 9 strands, depending what you need. Perhaps a 3 or 5 wire would be good for you, with one electric if you want?

Now, if you already have some supplies sitting around, or you have a very angled property line (I mentioned corner posts are expensive...), then other fence styles can be cheaper. Nothing wrong with T posts, 30" woven wire, & a hot barbed wire on top. Cattle see the woven, get shocked by the barbed, & change direction. If they are on an adventure & panicy they don't always see the other stuff.

How is that for a totally useless, wishy-washy reply? :)

--->Paul

6. desdawg

desdawg Well-Known Member

7. Rick, remember in most states your neighbor has to pay for half the fence if they are running stock againt it. Your county extension office can give you all of the information on that.

8. Rick

Actually, I just want to box a half acre to an acre around our homesite, to keep them out of our compost bins, and gardens, and other projects.

The cattlle are fenced, and get out, and on our property.

Thanks for the thoughts.

9. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

Send the neighbors a bill for the damages caused by the cattle. Chances are they will fix their fences.

Jena

10. barbarake

barbarake Well-Known Member

desdawg - thanks for posting that link to jackleg fences. I've never seen them before and really like that idea.

11. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

There is a Living farm in Lincoln Ill and they use a split rail fence...dh made the comment about how it was amazing how the cows just don't plow thru it and run off into other parts of the park. But I guess they're used to the traffic and whatnot by now.