Fencing, what is wrong with people??

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by bergere, Feb 23, 2005.

1. bergere

bergere Just living Life

This morning I decided to walk the fence line since we are getting 3 steers, and wanted to make sure everything was alright. We did have one old area to splice but no big deal, I walked it last week, and all was fine...... however....

Well, now we have a fencing problem. On the far side we had tight 4 lines of barbed,, but some one has cut it in at least 4 areas- two of the strands,, they were nice and rolled it up with clean hot wire. Gee Thanks..
    In the front pasture, last week before the elk it was fine, since th elk someone has cut one line and rolled up another so someone could walk through.

And no it was not the elk with a pair of not so sharp wire cutters getting the middle strand. :rolleyes:

Took Christopher with me since he saw all this before someone messed with our fencing.
    Right now, we have a bit of splicing to do. Should re sting it but that is not going to happen this year.

The Not hunting no trespassing signs on that side have also been taken down. They were up with nails, so a human had to pull them off.
    Which ****es me off no end someone thinks they have the right to come on our place when they think we are not looking.

What is wrong with people??My husband only has some much time to work on the Farm, I am a gimp and my son can't fix the fence on his own.
    Wish I could find who ever did this and make them fix what they did.

Not sure how long it will take to get all this fixed,,not sure what to tell Sandi (The kind person I am buying the steers from)??.. it might take as long as a month and a half of weekends to fix things... barring any other brain dead ----- cutting my fence.

2. Lazy J5

Lazy J5 Member

Sorry to hear of your trespassing problems. I hate when people do that stuff. We are downstream from a campground and have a large pond visible from the creek. It's well fenced and posted, but I have trouble every summer. Caught one guy leaned up against a post, with a sign on it, fishing. One time, someone was using our rowboat and left it on the far side of the pond. I started pasturing my bulls down there and that has helped a lot. It's amazing how many people are illiterate when it comes to "No Trespassing." :no:
    Hope you catch them.

3. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I would also place a report of damaged property (the fence) with the local police/sheriff. That's so if the idiot who removed the no hunting/trespass signs decides to go hunting, and can't tell a deer from a steer, you already have one trespass on record. It will make it easier to follow up on.

I'm sorry you have to deal with such inconsiderate folks.

Meg

4. dla

dla Well-Known Member

I really empathize.

It is extremely distressing to work so hard to get things done and then have folks be able to mess it all up in a few moments time.

We have considered buying one of those video cameras with motion detectors to watch certain parts of our property. (We have a local hoodlum who has built a fort on our property, stolen tools, and even cut down trees for crying out loud!)

We have determined this year to make an effort to get to know our neighbors as much as possible so that we can get all of the help that we can (and be a help as well)

Good luck!

5. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

sorry to here that bergere some people are real twits! caution beware of the bull signs? i would resplice the fence and watch for idiot to appear. our neighbour bulldozed out our corner brace panel last fall .will be harder to take out this time!! and this guy knows we have bad tempers!! i would visit the neighbours and let them know what has happened may not own up but may get the message!!

6. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Well-Known Member

Unless it's the neighbors who are doing it. I've had first hand experience with that little problem!! :no: They know you're schedule better than any stranger. :eek:

7. bergere

bergere Just living Life

Meg,

Good idea, I did not think of that. Not that the Police around here would do anything,, but at least they would have it on file.

8. bergere

bergere Just living Life

Thank you everyone... I just don't understand folks.

What I am going to do is write a letter that I can print out and put them in all the neighbors mail boxes. Will be nice about it, but if it one of them, am hoping they will take a hint.

9. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

...........The problem That you MIght encounter , is that , IF they cut the Top 2 wires the T-posts will be leaning in the Opposite direction from which the wire was stretched . If they are leaning , often times it is almost impossible to simply re-stretch the wire and have the Tposts come back into conformity because you are working against the Collective strength of ALL the MISaligned Tposts . One they are leaning one way or the other ....You have to CUT all the Clips , restretch the wire and REtie all the tposts . Some folks don't understand this simple fact when I gave them a bid to fix their fence . Fixing an Old or damaged fence is ...Infinitely MORE work than simply building a new fence . fordy.. :eek: :)

10. bergere

bergere Just living Life

Hi Fordy,

Oh we know,, we know. :( That's why we are going to just splice and patch,, that is all we can do.

At some point,, and as we can afford, we will be replacing all the old Barbed wire with field fence and hot wire.

I just feel bad, because when I contacted Sandi about buying the steers, the fence is sort'a old, but in good repair. Now because of what one or two poachers did,, I just do not know what to tell her? We can't take the steers as soon as I had planned. I do not want make her wait, but I have no choice. Sigh ~ ~

11. kppop

kppop Well-Known Member

We just went thru this on our new piece of land too. The guy who owns the land next to us decided to post no trespassing signs on metal stakes along the property line...the only problem was they were 3 ft on my property.

We had it all surveyed and it's staked out from the survey company. We left them for the time being. Once Spring hits we are clearing a driveway and an area where the house will go...the first thing I'm doing is removing his stakes and putting up a fence.

Actually..the fence on that side and the backside of the property are going up first. Someone has a deerstand about 2 ft in my property in the back corner....they won't be hunting deer there this year. I don't want some yahoo back there shooting at things while my kids and pets are roaming our land.

kppop

12. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

how much of oyur operation goes into your homestead income ? if youre raising animals for profit, even if only a few, you can go to the USDA dept of ag and get a GRANT for perimeter fencing, same with livestock watering ponds , the beauty of this is , they grant enough money that you can do the work yourself or hire someone to do it, with your disability it should be a piece of cake, hey, im not one to live off the public teat, but if we the taxpayer have been paying in for these programs then it seems to me its fair enough for the gov to help me when im ready to make a living at this , the big farms get money all the time , little guys can get it too .
    Beth

13. bergere

bergere Just living Life

bethlaf ,

Right now we are just starting up, as this is a new Farm for us. We will never be that big,, but we hope to have enough things going on, that we can pretty much feed ourselves.
    Will take us a couple of years though,, have so much work to do.

14. nodak3

nodak3 Well-Known Member Supporter

We had that problem once in ND--turned out to be the neighbor kid wanted to take his 4 wheeler through. Took a while, but finally his daddy got the point and made him fix it.

15. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

Two nights ago the missus heard voices and saw a light on the road going up to the ridge on our property. I used a .30-06 to encourage them to leave.

16. Momo

Momo Well-Known Member

Just to be safe,do not put the letter IN the mailbox. Attach it to the mailbox or mail it. It is a federal offense to put anything inside someone elses mailbox. It is possible your neighbors would try to prosecute you for breaking the law.

17. BJ

BJ Well-Known Member

For just a quick temporary fix....you could just use those wire cattle panels. Around here cost about $11 each and if you use them w/3 T-Posts should patch the fence so you can get those steers. We have trouble with trespassers too. Our's just twist the bolts on the gates and lift them off! Why don't they just climb the fence???? Whey do they have to do damage? Someday....just want to catch them in the act! Good Luck :)

18. shorty'smom

shorty'smom Well-Known Member

It is amazing how some people think the whole country belongs to them and they have a right to enter. We've had similar problems. We had hunters show up at the front door because they saw us walking on our own land near their deer stand. They reported to us that they had said pasture leased for hunting. They were quite surprised to find out that we own the title to that land and we wanted our money if they had it leased. We've had the Sherrif out several times on vandalism. Last year a 7mm full metal jacketted bullet came through the front of our house and missed hitting me in the head by 8 inches. A tresspasser hunting. Call the law. It's maybe poachers and the game warden can set up a sting for them to find out. If they are going in at night, it sounds highly like poachers.

I know how you feel about the husband having to work so much he can't get to the fences, and trying to do it yourself with a son. My son finally grew big enough, but he left us last year because, 1) he grew up and 2) he is in the Army at Fort Drum, NY.

19. Countrygrl3

Countrygrl3 Well-Known Member

Well, just for a laugh, how about this situation being described in the Washington Post recently.

Because Southern Maryland has undergone such rapid growth (in residential housing), it is creating pressure on the strong farming community which still remains. Consequently there are often problems between farmers and their neighbors.
    One farmer reported coming home from church to find a family picnicking (sp?)on his front lawn. He asked "May I help you?", to which they replied...

"Oh, no, thanks. We're just enjoying the view!" :confused: :haha: :haha:

20. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

I agree with you & others, don't understand the mindset that does something like that.

May I ask, I don't understand one thing? If I read it right, there are wires cut in 4 places? And it will take you 6 weeks to fix that? I must not have a grasp on the amount of damage done. That should all be spliced up in 2-3 hours, not weeks?

Don't mean to sound odd, just trying to get a better handle on the deal here. :)

--->Paul