Fencing questions

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Bladesmith, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Bladesmith

Bladesmith Well-Known Member

Well, we're thinking about fencing again. Maybe this fall or this spring after tax refund. We've got 5 acres, and we want to fence it all in, to keep the dogs and chickens in, and the raccoons, feral dogs and coyotes out. (This includes the neighbors aggressive little mongrel). Neither the wife or I are physically able to do the work ourselves. Whats the best options for fencing? We have sandy loose soil, so thats a factor too.

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Haveing built a lot of fences here in central Florida I would suggest 8 inch wood cornor posts with the horizonal small post to the second end post in both cornor directions. Then steel 'T' posts that are driven in, in between. Then a streached field fence with a string of barbed wire hog cliped to the bottom to discourage digging under. That combination should meet you listed requirements.

The field fence comes in 330 foot rolls at about $80.00 to 100.00 per roll. Barbed wire comes in 1320 foot rolls here at about $17.00 last time I purchased any. The 8 inch cornor posts, 3 needed per cornor are around $15.00 each, the smaller (4 to 5 inch) horizonal posts are about $4.00 each, 2 needed per cornor. Don't forget to place a strength wire diagonally from the top of the second cornor post down to the bottom of the main cornor post, and twisted for tension. Setting the posts is the biggest part of fenceing, streaching the wire is dessert.

Remember to place the double 8 inchers with smaller cross brace posts at both sides of each gate or opening, with the tension wire going both diagonal ways there. Now the hard part is paying for the materials, and finding someone young and dumb enought to drive the t posts into the soil. The good news, there are no rocks in Florida unless someone put them there, occasionally you will find a bit of limestone to do battle with but it is fairly easy compared to rocks.

PM me if you have any specific questions.

3. momanto

momanto SW FLORIDA HAPPYLAND

I Read In Progressive Farmer Magazine An Article About How A Farmer W/20 Acres Was Able To Use The Usda "eqip" Grant To Crossfence His Land.

It Is Too Late To Do It For 2005 But Plenty Of Time To Get Involved For 2006. After He Was Signed Up They Reimbursed Him 75%. That Included The Fencing, Gates, Well, Irrigation Pipes, Water Tank & Advice. He Ran A Water Pipe From One End To The Other W/couplings In Each Pasture. Then He Dragged The Same Water Tank From Pasture To Pasture As He Moved The Cows, Donkey, & ??? . Total Over 20 Animals.

We're Checking Into It. There Are Also Others Grants Available, We Get A Small One Already For Erosion. Erosion Close To The River Is So Evident- It Looks Like An Elephant Is Under There Moving South. And At The North End, My Front Yard Is Coming Closer To The Front Door.

4. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) I don't know if this would work for you but I use field fencing also to keep my dogs in and other dogs out. To also keep my ducks in I've lined the field fencing with 36" chicken wire.

This keeps nothing else out, only stock and other people's dogs. Anything else can readily climb it. But if you want it for just daytime protection it's done a nice job here.

Naturally the dogs and ducks are kept in at night(the dogs have doggie doors that go out into a fenced dog yard for night time) ;) .

Good luck with your project. We found a nice neighbor who is also a contractor that did the fencing for a reasonable price. He pounded in the T posts with the bucket on his tractor.

LQ